Lettuce

• 7 Replies

Geordie

Lettuce
« on: April 28, 2008, 20:29 »
I have started some Little Gem lettuces off in my greenhouse and they have been transplanted into 3 " pots where they are now about 4" tall and looking like they need moving on again.

I don't have any space in the ground to put them. What is the best sized container to move these into? or would a growbag be better?

nobby

• Experienced Member
Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 20:54 »
if they are 4inch high then the best thing to do is start eating them :D

sclarke624

Lettuce
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 21:09 »
About not having the space.................Wickes were selling, last year, plastic underbed storage containers 100cm x 60cm and aprox 15 cm or 6 inches deep in a set of 3 for £7.99.  Ideal for lettuce, radishes.

Lettuces only need a 4" depth and radishes 6" to grow apparently.

You might get away with putting them in a cat litter tray........clean and new of course. :roll:

Sheila
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

vegmandan

Lettuce
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 22:55 »
I'd plant 'em out in a narrow plastic trough/windowbox about 4-6 inches apart and pick 'em small. :D

compostqueen

Lettuce
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 22:58 »
even cardboard boxes, which last long enough to get a salad crop. I used baskets and boxes of all kinds. Owt that's free. I did manage to grow some un-nibbled out on the plot where I hid them amongst onions and broad beans

I love Little Gems. The boat shaped leaves are perfect for holding mayo or salad dressing.  Expensive in the shops too so well worth growing

Geordie

Lettuce
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 23:56 »
Many thanks for your replies. I have a few options to consider now.

I have found a storage box at Ikea for £5.99 that looks just the job. It is about 8" deep and 28"x 30"

:D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Lettuce
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 07:06 »
Quote from: "sclarke624"
About not having the space.................Wickes were selling, last year, plastic underbed storage containers 100cm x 60cm and aprox 15 cm or 6 inches deep in a set of 3 for £7.99.  Ideal for lettuce, radishes.

Lettuces only need a 4" depth and radishes 6" to grow apparently.

You might get away with putting them in a cat litter tray........clean and new of course. :roll:

Sheila

Most people on here will know that I'm a great exponent of the cat litter tray, especially when it comes to leeks & radishes. (Radishes need nowhere near 6" depth BTW, they are quite happy with 2" or so).

As compostqueen states, you can grow lettuce etc. in anything you can beg or borrow, (I won't encourage stealing!), but if you feel the urge to buy, I would suggest that the Wickes's deal is better value.

Cat litter trays are just over a quid each. In all these cases you will need to make drainage holes, these are best done with something like a red hot skewer, other methods may crack the plastic.

A VERY important thing to bear in mind is the plastic they are made from, under bed storage trays will not see much daylight & certainly no ultra-violet light. They are not designed to go outside & may quickly go brittle. Some of my cat litter trays are on their 4th year & still going strong.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

digby

• Experienced Member
Lettuce
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:03 »
My friend scrounged a load of the wooden fruit trays they use in supermarkets - perfect.

xx
Lettuce

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 18:55
by sloworm
xx
Lettuce

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 02:24
by sclarke624
xx
lettuce?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 10:10
by Aidy
xx
cut and come again lettuce.

Started by MOLUSC on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 13:46
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 39 queries.