New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Newbie in Manchester

• 4 Replies

Dharma66

Newbie in Manchester
« on: June 22, 2018, 22:30 »
Morning all.

I hate gardening. All that fooling around with mud and worms.

I’ve had a garden for twenty years, and my position has always been that anything my wife didn’t want to do herself, I’d happily pay a man who can. But don’t ask me to get any more involved than reaching for the cheque book.

Then...

I saw a book called “grow all you can eat in three square feet”, and remembered Pat had said she fancied having a go at some veg. I flicked through the book, it looked good, and I bought it for her.

So there it is, sat on my desk, quietly singing to me...And I’m dipping into it more and more. And that raised bed made of sleepers looks like a good project. That’s not gardening, that’s woodwork. Honest.

Pat was delighted at my offer to build her a two meter by one meter raised bed, and I was quite happy doing something I enjoy. Woodwork. Not gardening.

But we need to know what to plant...That book is quietly singing again. And there must be a few websites...

So now we’re planting seeds in trays in a little cloche type thing. That’s not really gardening either, is it? Not sure what it is, but it can’t be gardening. And my new book. Yeah, sure, it’s called the RHS Enyclopaedia of Gardening...but it’s more like horticulture. And horticulture is science. Not gardening.

And then, we’re eating salad that we’ve grown. That’s amazing! I tell people at work, who say, “I didn’t know you were a gardener.” I look at them confused...I’m not a gardener!

And this bloke is telling me about his allotment, but I say I wouldn’t want an allotment for a few years. And he says that if I want one in a few years, I’d best put my name down.

It can’t hurt. The council website says the waiting list is 3-6 years. By then, I might be ready.

Three weeks later, and one week ago, I get the call, “Do you want to come and look at this allotment.”

What? No! I need another three years at least! “Yes, thanks, I’d love to!” ... Wait, who said that?

“Just sign here”...
C836BE47-D8BB-4067-AEDB-D1502A4C7369.jpeg
53FA3571-ED80-434C-8798-4FC7132FC3B1.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie in Manchester
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 10:09 »
Growing veg is quietly addictive, but too late - you are officially hooked  :lol:

Hi and welcome  :D  Lots of like minded folk here  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 19:48 »
Haha, good story, as you’ve found it can sneak up & bite you when you least expect it. No finer hobby.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:51 »
Hallo and Welcome.  Look at your fingers, are they going green   :) :)
It sounds like they must.   
This site will give you a wealth of experienced and new gardeners who have met with all sort of unusual situations and problems with their plots/gardens.
Apart from that, we are a nice friendly bunch, who are always eager to help, and accept help when we need it.  I am so glad you are enjoying it.  Regards Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 21:18 »
Welcome and what amazing progress you've made on that plot already!  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Hi from Manchester

Started by Buttercup123 on Welcome to the Forums

2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2024, 20:54
by Yorkie
xx
Hello From Manchester

Started by vincentMCR on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 11:31
by New shoot
xx
Hi from sunny Manchester!

Started by Carlos on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 08:41
by sunshineband
xx

Started by Darren Barker on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2020, 11:33
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.