Bind Weed

• 23 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Bind Weed
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 20:04 »
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.

After 8 years, mine's not too bad! :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Buzzy bee

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 20:11 »
Hi

Right round up it is!  I will then cover it up for a few weeks and sort out the rubbish and other bits.  I will see if there is some roundup in the shed here at home, if not will buy some tomorow.

I will bring the picking home and then burn them, don't want to make a nuisance of myself on the allotment with smoke etc.

Cheers

Dave

Parsnip

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 20:14 »
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.

That's so not funny... :mad: ;) :tongue2:

mmmm, so you use it too..I'm just a bit funny about what it might leave in the soil and that it will get on my veggies ???

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 20:16 »
I've used it for years. Nowt wrong with me! :wacko:

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 20:17 »
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.
Round Up, fork out.

That's so not funny... :mad: ;) :tongue2:

mmmm, so you use it too..I'm just a bit funny about what it might leave in the soil and that it will get on my veggies ???

:) :) very little couch grass and or bind weed   :) :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 20:22 »
I don't suppose you've got lots of tomato plants on the go? Only, I'm sure I've read somewhere that growing tomatoes near couch grass kills it off.... hang on..... YES! here we are: "Plant tomatoes in areas .. troubled by couch grass. Use them as sacrificial plants even where you can't expect to harvest the fruits, as their root excretions can deter vigorous infestations of the weed. Simply turn the couch-ridden area over to one spade's depth in early summer, throw some good topsoil or planting compost between the upturned clods and heel in young tomato plants - use a vigorous variety such as Broad yellow ripple currant (I've never heard of this one???) Compost the tomato plants in autumn and mulch the ground over winter. The following season your ground should be couch-free."
This is from a HDRA Soil Association booklet called "Weeds". It goes on to say that the African Marigold Tagetes Minuta also excretes powerful herbicides which work on persistent perennial weeds.
It won't be a quick fix, but if you were planning on growing tomatoes anyway...?
Rachael

Parsnip

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 20:29 »
I don't suppose you've got lots of tomato plants on the go? Only, I'm sure I've read somewhere that growing tomatoes near couch grass kills it off.... hang on..... YES! here we are: "Plant tomatoes in areas .. troubled by couch grass. Use them as sacrificial plants even where you can't expect to harvest the fruits, as their root excretions can deter vigorous infestations of the weed. Simply turn the couch-ridden area over to one spade's depth in early summer, throw some good topsoil or planting compost between the upturned clods and heel in young tomato plants - use a vigorous variety such as Broad yellow ripple currant (I've never heard of this one???) Compost the tomato plants in autumn and mulch the ground over winter. The following season your ground should be couch-free."
This is from a HDRA Soil Association booklet called "Weeds". It goes on to say that the African Marigold Tagetes Minuta also excretes powerful herbicides which work on persistent perennial weeds.
It won't be a quick fix, but if you were planning on growing tomatoes anyway...?

I'd be eating nothing but toms if I put them on my plot though.. it's all couch grass:lol:

Interesting that, I'm planning on growing my toms at home in the greenhouse, might just stick a few in up the lottie. I've already planned on marigolds as they supposedly help keep the carrot fly away... ???

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 20:37 »
ar'nt potatoes of the same family as toms....
so I guess thats why many gardeners recomend planting spuds after
after first clearance of such areas...plus they over shadow the said weeds...

PAH

Parsnip

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 21:13 »
ar'nt potatoes of the same family as toms....
so I guess thats why many gardeners recomend planting spuds after
after first clearance of such areas...plus they over shadow the said weeds...

PAH

Oooh that's lucky PAH, the bit that we've managed to clear, I've put some spuds in... YAY... :)

xx
Bind weed

Started by jo.power on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 18:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bind Weed

Started by Lari on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 17:24
by gremlin
xx
i'm growing bind weed

Started by like diggingk on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 04, 2012, 00:51
by ulsterfairy
xx
bind weed in my raspberries

Started by Shazzer on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2007, 22:40
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 32 queries.