Some help for novice growers

• 6 Replies

brightgirls

Some help for novice growers
« on: October 26, 2011, 20:46 »
Hi all - well we have had our allotment now for 7 weeks and after a lot of weeding, laying of tarpaulin, spending money on a shed and tools, then even more weeding, we have now reached the point of planting some produce. :)

So I have some basic questions which I am sure you guys can help us with

• We planted some raspberry canes (sticks really) Tulameen, a few days ago.  Should they "do anything" in the next month or so ... or are they slow to progress?  Have not set up a wire system yet to support them as they are just sticks at the moment... should I be doing this soon?

We have planted some broad beans and shallots - should we cover these over to protect against cold or birds? 

We are planting Japanese onions and garlic this weekend - again should i cover with a fleece?

Finally - i am the proud owner of 2 packs of green manure seeds that a friend said plant now and "dig in" in the spring...  sounds like a lot of work.  do i literally just dig it all into the plot when it grows abit (9 inches)

I am sure i will get the hang of this - loving it all so far and taking great pride in showing our friends progress on the allotment.  Hope someone can help me out on the above quick questions.

Thanks all  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Some help for novice growers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 21:43 »
Hello there!

All the veggies you've mentioned will grow without weather protection, but if the birds start pulling things out, you may  need to put some bird netting up :( It depend how bad they are in your area  :unsure: If you put a location in your profile it will help with advice ;)

The raspberries may not show at all until spring, but they will be making a good root system.

green manure is sow, and grow, then in the spring cut down and then dig in  ;) Leave about a month before planting anything in that bit.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 21:44 by mumofstig »

stompy

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:44 »
I too have just baught two Tulameen canes but will not be planting them on the plot until March. (their place is not ready yet)
I have however planted them in two flower buckets with compost and have put them in the greenhouse to over winter and give them a head start.

Like Mos said though, get them in and they will start to put out roots and so long as they were good canes wait until spring and you should start to see some top growth comming through ;)

As for the other winter items i don't know as i have never planted in autum to overwinter things as my soil is too cold until march time, i do put my garlic in in February but under a cloche that has been down for a couple of weeks to help warm the soil undernieth a bit.

What green manure is it?

brightgirls

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 18:50 »
Thanks for your messages -

we live in Brighton on the south coast... I will update my profile, thanks for the tip. 

The green manure is Rye grass. 

Can't wait until Saturday to get up there again

Thanks for help and messages  :)

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 14:50 »
With regards the wire system, there is no rush. All I would say is, bear in mind in spring when the raspberries should begin to grow and need support, you could be busy sowing other crops etc. So weather permitting, it could be a good idea to erect your wire system during the winter months whilst little else is happening on the allotment.

Rgds
D
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

Headgardener22

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 16:44 »
As regards the Tulameen, according to the RHS website, they are "Floricane" that means they will fruit on 2nd year wood. So:

a) you won't get much fruit (if any) next year
b) you will need to wire them up (eventually) to protect them from being blown about in the winter

I prefer autumn fruited raspberries on the allotment because they fruit on this years growth so don't need wires.

brightgirls

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 18:02 »
Thanks for that last message - I think if we had not been warned that they did not bear fruit year 1 we would have been very disappointed  :(

I might tackle the supports in the next few weeks - not sure how I will get on with it to be honest. 

We are thinking of getting an apple tree now as well - to plant in the next few weeks.

Thanks all

xx
PSB how and when....novice

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 19:41
by Paul Plots
xx
Helpful DVD for New Veg Growers

Started by compostqueen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 12:34
by jack russell
xx
to all pumpkin growers out there

Started by mollski on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 22:09
by Yorkie
xx
for parsnip growers x

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 11:44
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 41 queries.