hardening things off

• 5 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
hardening things off
« on: April 27, 2009, 18:42 »
OK so I have some (not as many as I'd hoped but that will teach me to overwater things) french beans about 8/10 inches tall & some corn which is about 6 inches tall & I've been putting them outside for the last couple of days under my frosted window "coldframe".  How long should I be doing this for & when can they actually be planted out?  My allotment is right on the coast so fairly mild temperatures but it still seems a bit on the chilly side to me.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: hardening things off
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 19:09 »
Keep doing that for another couple of weeks at least (dependant on your local temps) and when the night temp is regularly warmer then keep them outside at night too.Once theyve had a week or so of this then they should be ok to plant out permanently
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

David.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 21:02 »
OK so I have some (not as many as I'd hoped but that will teach me to overwater things) french beans about 8/10 inches tall

Seems rather tall prior to planting out to me, and as I only grow fine french beans (fillet/whatever) I try not to let them get too vigorous/short & sturdy, but that seems rather tall to me for this time of year.

Another thing is that if warm & windy when you put them (from a sheltered environment) out to harden off, the leaves could get burnt off by the sun/wind, and a taller/weaker plant could be more susceptable to this and more likely to get it's leaves burnt off.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 21:07 by David. »

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 08:17 »
So should I pinch the tops out then to try & get it bushy rather than tall?  But they are climbers after all so are they not meant to get tall?  Doh!  All confused now

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:08 »
Mine are just as tall and i've been putting them out during the day as well. Bit chilly still here (forecast is for same all this week :() My runner beans are the same :lol:
but next warm spell we get i'm gonna plant them out. I have plenty of fleece to hand just in case :)

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 17:54 »
I can't really risk putting them out till I'm good and sure about the weather.  My allotment is too far away to just nip across and cover them up, although the weather on the plot is a lot milder than it is where I live.

xx
hardening off

Started by WendysLot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 06:30
by Growster...
xx
Hardening off

Started by peanut97 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2007, 08:57
by newbiegrower
xx
Hardening Off ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 10:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Hardening off...

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 13:10
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.