Aaargh hatching eggs on ebay rant

• 59 Replies

Twinkie002

Re: Aaargh hatching eggs on ebay rant
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 20:46 »
Yes - I think you are probably right!  I think if they had been there more than a couple of hours, there would be a few "piles"!!

hillfooter

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 23:34 »
Hi, I am new to the forum and the reason I was looking for chicken forums is to also have a rant about something I saw on ebay.   There is a poultry house for sale with two poor hybrid hens in - kept on pavement slabs, with what looks to be no food or any greens to peck at and a mad looking dog in the back ground staring them out!!  I just thought that this picture epitomises the "latest fad" and is all the worse because animals are involved.  I know not all poultry keepers have acres of pasture, but they can be kept on bark, straw etc, but they should also have greens hung up and a material on the run floor to scratch through dont you think?   Anyway - thanks for letting me have a rant!  I didn't know how to put the photo on, but there is an attachment at the bottom -  i think!

Deplorable but you are highjacking this thread which is about hatching eggs not appalling advertising.
HF
Truth through science.

Twinkie002

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 08:02 »
Thank you for the welcome message - I just happened to see the ebay thread.  I thought this forum was friendly!

madcat

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 08:07 »
I don't think HF was being unfriendly - just focused on the point in hand.

Stick around and you will see that we are a friendly bunch ....  the chicken people can 'cluck' for hours on all sorts of feathery topics.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:08 »
Most of us are.

Hillfooter - that was hardly the friendliest greeting you could have given to a new member.

The post was not that far off beam, threads have been known to wander far more than this without anyone batting an eyelid.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 08:13 »
I agree DD especially as this is on the chicken chat section
Staffies are softer than you think.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 08:20 »
Yes - I think you are probably right!  I think if they had been there more than a couple of hours, there would be a few "piles"!!

They would smell alot more on slabs as well! 

I recently bought some Serema hatching eggs off of Ebay and so far all are showing fertile.  Has anyone else bought eggs off of Ebay and had successful hatchings?

joyfull

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 08:22 »
copper blue marans which hatched out to be copper black marans good fertility rate though (I did collect them as I didn't want to risk the post).

Twinkie002

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 09:20 »
Thank you for the reassuring replies - what a relief!  I was simply making a point about the welfare of some hens.  Yes we have bought eggs from ebay with varied success.  The best were 6 golden silkie bantam hatching eggs from somewhere in the lakes (from ebay) through the post - we had all six hatch, lost one within hours, but the others were very healthy.  Obviously out of the 5 left, 4 were cockerels and one hen!  My daughter has shown one of the cockerels and the hen in a juvenile class and got second and third.  The worst result we had were for a dozen Ko shamo and only two hatched, both died within 24 hours. 

hillfooter

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 09:42 »
Thank you for the welcome message - I just happened to see the ebay thread.  I thought this forum was friendly!

Sorry Twinkle I wasn't being unfriendly and please feel free to comment or start another thread if the topic is new. I didn't actually notice you were new so I probably should have allowed for that.
HF

joyfull

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 09:52 »
Twinkie002 where abouts in Lincolnshire are you? There are lots of us on here from Lincs, myself, Grannie Annie, Rachel, GTFC, chickenlady, Nichchick, Dabhand in fact the list could go on and on and on  :D.
I'm from the South Holland area (about 12 miles from Spalding, and 12 from Boston) and Grannie Annie lives just a couple of miles or so down the road from me  :)

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 10:14 »
I have bought three lots of eggs from ebay- the first was good, second lot having second thoughts about out of 12 eggs 6 hatched one died within 24 hours. Out of the 5 that are left 2 look like the buff orpintons but the other 3 are more of a red colour and the cockerels are now starting to develop green tail feathers so I think thy must be some sort of cross- not what I wanted, not sure what to do about it either.

The third lot are in the inci so will see how we get on with these, I guess you can never be sure what you are getting until they are older and by then you are attached to them.

Twinkie002

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 10:17 »
Twinkie002 where abouts in Lincolnshire are you? There are lots of us on here from Lincs, myself, Grannie Annie, Rachel, GTFC, chickenlady, Nichchick, Dabhand in fact the list could go on and on and on  :D.
I'm from the South Holland area (about 12 miles from Spalding, and 12 from Boston) and Grannie Annie lives just a couple of miles or so down the road from me  :)

Hi, I am from the Lincoln / Gainsborough area bit further north than Boston etc , but Lincolnshire is a huge county! :D

Twinkie002

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 10:23 »
Apology accepted Hillfooter!  When we bought eggs on ebay, we tended to look for follow-up feedback comments, because they can indicate whether the hatch rate is good at least, although hatching ability differs from person to person and incubator to incubator.  We have also sold hatching eggs on ebay and asked buyers to leave normal feedback in relation to postage and packing quality, then follow up feedback regarding hatching.  :D

joyfull

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34 »
Twinkie002 where abouts in Lincolnshire are you? There are lots of us on here from Lincs, myself, Grannie Annie, Rachel, GTFC, chickenlady, Nichchick, Dabhand in fact the list could go on and on and on  :D.
I'm from the South Holland area (about 12 miles from Spalding, and 12 from Boston) and Grannie Annie lives just a couple of miles or so down the road from me  :)

Hi, I am from the Lincoln / Gainsborough area bit further north than Boston etc , but Lincolnshire is a huge county! :D

eldest son lives at Gainsborough so visiting there on Saturday  :D.
What breeds do you have?

xx
frustrated with ebay and buying hatching eggs try this

Started by shella on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 02:36
by AL Hathaway
xx
Another ebay rant

Started by Hayley'sHens on Chicken Chat

22 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 21:36
by Chookiechook
xx
My new hatching eggs have arrived

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 18:55
by dizzylizzie
xx
hatching eggs...no idea whats in them lol

Started by needssomehelp on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 07:59
by needssomehelp

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 39 queries.