Peace shattered!

• 8 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Peace shattered!
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:56 »
There was I just now peacefully slicing apples for making apple rings, the back door was open, the hen house gang happily foraging round the back garden, when all hell broke loose  :ohmy:

The horrible little velociraptors sorry chickens had found a frog, killed it and were now in a gruesome tug of war all trying to pull it to bits.............bleeeuuuuggghhhh  :tongue2:

After ripping it apart and gobbling it down they waddled back to their run and are pecking away at windfall apples and overgrown cukes as if butter wouldn't melt  ::)  I meanwhile need a strong cup of coffee and a lie down  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Peace shattered!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 13:08 »
I'm afraid chickens are cannibals when it comes to free food!  I've known them hollow out one of their own that was ill! 

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 23:05 »
glad I'm reading these with a glass of nice red wine in hand!  they can be gruesome - best not to dwell on it, *sip*

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:10 »
They are like the Terminator when they spot food aren't they...absolutely will not stop  :ohmy:  It was the graphic red in tooth and claw demo in front of me I could have lived without  ::)

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:56 »
They are quite gross one of mine had a shrew the other day :tongue2:  :tongue2: Also several frogs and toads, and there was me worrying about the neighbours cats getting the wildlife!!

evie2

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 13:49 »
Our chickens have to compete with the cats for mice, frogs, butterflies and flies it's very funny to watch :lol:  The cats are ahead as the moment but only because the chickens aren't free ranging :lol: :lol:

Watched the poots earlier chasing a fly, the fly won ::)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 17:33 »
One of our cats had killed a sparrow the other day and the first I knew about it was when one of the girls was running around with it and all the others were in hot pursuit.   Yuck!  There was no way I would have been able to get it off them (all several pieces of it by the time they had finished  :( )
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 23:55 »
tonight I have a glass of nice white wine to keep me calm while I contemplate the more gruesome habits of my favourite pets! *sip*

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:27 »
when working on our allotment we let our hens out for some free ranging, whilst down there on monday my wife let out a scream, the girls had caught a mouse-cue benny hill style chase-hilarious for us to watch, not so good for the mouse.  Mental note to myself avoid collapsing in the run at all costs !!

xx
Shattered

Started by poppies on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 11:09
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 41 queries.