Mid to long term review of supermarket dwarf trees esp Lidl/ Aldi

• 3 Replies

El.mag

We were planning to plant some dwarf fruit trees around the borders of the lawn.
We missed the bare root season & we're looking at the dwarf trees from Lidl or Aldi or other supermarkets.
Would love to hear the long term outcomes of those trees esp plums, pears & cherries. We're they true to their labels & did they fruit well.
Would welcome suggestions for dwarf tree suppliers with not too expensive trees.
Many thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Bare root trees are still available from my favourite supplier, https://www.blackmoor.co.uk/apple-trees-eating-c1 but at around £30-40 for 2 year-old trees, they aren't cheap, I know.

People on my old allotment site, often took a chance on the supermarket trees, and most were happy with them eventually, but not all were the variety they were supposed to be, plus they are only small and whippy when they are sold, so do take longer to start fruiting.

So that's the choice, can you afford older trees or does your budget only allow for the supermarket varieties. How about 1 or 2 good trees for this year and then fill in with cheaper ones next?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 08:56 by mumofstig »

El.mag

Thanks, will check the Blackmoor trees.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I would want to be very sure about it being on a dwarfing rootstock from a supermarket.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Mid term review

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2023, 09:51
by Goosegirl
xx
Long term veg investments

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 11:35
by Dekzion
xx
Lidl Dwarf French Bean Kinghorn Wax

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 22:15
by Paul Plots
xx
£3.99 Fruit Trees at Lidl

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 17, 2007, 22:15
by Salkeela

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 41 queries.