Collar & Harness help.

• 12 Replies

Lardman

Collar & Harness help.
« on: June 16, 2013, 23:02 »
Max has very quickly grown out of the harness I originally bought for him (a medium ezydog quickfit harness).

Being a bit of a 'bitza' he seems to be an odd size to buy things for, there's still plenty of room for girth adjustment on the harness but it's not far enough down his chest and it rubbing under his front legs. This length measurement seems to be the one measurement they don't include in their sizing charts. I did switch over to a leather collar but that rubbed his neck really badly  >:( and I can't use his seatbelt clip with the collar either.

Can anyone recommend anything ? I'm concerned about just getting the XL harness in case it's too loose around his chest.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Collar & Harness help.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 23:20 »
I would try the bigger one and then get it adjusted if it is too big.  I took a pair of hubbys motorcycle trousers in to get a really thick adjustment belt moved which would be similar to a dog harness in thickness.  They did it no problem and it was reasonably priced.  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 13:20 »
We have a miniature schnauzer.  When we started walking her she pulled like mad on the lead so we got a harness, made her worse. When dogs pull a collar or harness only makes it worse as it supports them so they can rear up and pull more, plus they can harm a  dog, especially choke collars.  Our Vet recommended a 'Halti'  which is like a horse halter. It goes round the snout and clips to their collar. They can still breath eat and bark BUT the moment they get distracted or pull you give a gentle 'tug' and it pulls their head to one side distracting them.  I am not exaggerating when I say that within MINUTES of using it Prue stopped pulling and behaved herself.  If we ever use a normal lead (which is rare) she goes back to her old behaviour.    Hope that helps!!!

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 14:11 »
I ended up emailing/phoning the manufacturer direct about sizing as the info on the internet was really useless.  I was trying to order a padded car harness (that you can use the seatbelt clip for) and ended up getting one from Arcol? They were really helpful and although it is still a little bit big (it's the smallest one they do and she is very skinny!!) she seems quite comfortable in it (even walking 1-2 hours in it) and it is secure and doesn't chafe.  The size I ended up with is completely different to what the sizing chart suggested so it is worth speaking to them direct.
The leather collar I bought is also a bit too big so we ended up with an adjustable nylon collar (with a plastic clip fastening - cheap!) which she seems more comfortable with and you can get a perfect fit. Did you try a round or flat leather collar? one may rub less than the other?
There's so much to choose from - I seem to have spent hours online in retail therapy ... but for the dog  >:(  :D

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 14:34 »
Max's attempts to pull me lasted about 2 days, when he realised it was futile he soon gave up  ;) People must have thought I was mad stopping every 2nd or 3rd step and changing direction  :nowink: Took ages to get around the park.

I like the harness for the car, I have one of those seatbelt plug type lead, if I stop sharply it wouldn't be good if it was attached on a collar.  A body harness also give me the ability to lift his legs off the floor removing most of his traction if he gets too interested in something he shouldn't. Nothing says you've been a naughty dog like being lifted up, glared at and spoken to sharply.

I was looking at the soft neoprene collars as he doesn't wear anything in the house as he has very thin fur around his neck. If  he bolted for the door when it rang there would be nothing to grab hold of and even worse there would be no ID on him if he got out (he is chipped though).

That sounds terrible - I haven't raised an uncontrollable monster, most of the time he responds very well to my various monosyllabic grunts, especially as I've only been training him for 4 months. But given the damage he could do I don't like to take chances.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 11:54 »
Yes - it took us initially over half an hour to get to the end of our lane (normally takes less than 2 mins) doing the stop/start and change direction thing.  Neighbours seeing me over the hedge thought I was mad until they worked out there was a puppy involved! She still pulls though when she loses concentration (overwhelming smells or a bird!) and we then have to resort back to the stop/start etc to remind her not to pull.
The seatbelt clip is really good as it stops her leaping out when I open the door and she is now getting so used to being clipped in that she is starting to just sit there until I tell her she can come out.
I also have the same thing with Molly as she will make a dash for the door as well and can look like a slavering beast (all teeth) when she meets other dogs as she is so keen to make friends. 
Just remind yourself that it has only been 4 months and at least you are trying to train Max and do the best for him so he is a sociable dog.  I'm sure he is already counting his blessings to have someone who cares for him  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:41 »
for my Ollie I bought her a perfect fit harness simply because she has a very large chest (44"), you buy the harness in separate parts - so if the neck is small and the chest big you can be sure it will fit perfectly. They aren't cheap but they are very good.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:43 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 13:08 »
for my Ollie I bought her a perfect fit harness simply because she has a very large chest (44"), you buy the harness in separate parts - so if the neck is small and the chest big you can be sure it will fit perfectly. They aren't cheap but they are very good.
They also do fleece lined collars which might help as well!
(What a good link Joyfull!  :))

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 18:12 »
..... In fact I liked the collars so much I have ordered one!  :D

More retail therapy for the dog  >:(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:44 »
yes my dogs all have fleece lined collars too  :)

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 13:57 »
Collar arrived in the post yesterday - now that's what I call service! However probably not the best day to try out a snug fleece lined collar as it was so hot - she panted her way round our afternoon walk and then panted all the way through puppy class! She tends to get all her teeth out when panting (back to the slavering beast) so scared the small puppies with her impressive array of fangs!  She can look like she has someone else's dentures in! :D  :D  :D

Good news though - no rubbing so her neck wasn't the usual pink after the class. Only thing is that as the fleece gradually compresses her collar is getting looser so I will have to keep an eye on the fit. But thanks Joyfull for the tip off!

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 21:21 »
Thank Joyfull, I had seen the site before but was put off by ½ of it not working  :nowink:

I'll get a tape measure out and try and get some measurement, I do like the idea of mix and match - I have no idea how big or even what shape Max will end up  :unsure: 

Agatha

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 18:28 »
Mekuti do great harnesses and double ended leads - you can use both ends of the lead on the harness to help with balance problems or to control pulling, have one end attached to the collar and one to the harness as a 'belt and braces' if you are worried about losing the dog or just use the lead as a normal one.  Hope you find something that works.  I have a separate harness for the car as I found the ones that seemed most secure for the car were not practical/comfortable for long-distance walking. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.