Not sure if i have a poorly hen.

• 5 Replies

TamCal

Not sure if i have a poorly hen.
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:52 »
Hello everyone,

I was hoping for some help as im a beginner in chicken keeping and although ive searched the internet for advice im aware it can also give inacurate information so hoped the more experienced chicken keepers could give me some ideas. I have two girls and yesterday i introduced four new girls into hen house. One of my old girls was making such a racket  because of the newcomers that i had to pick her up and give her a little reasurance.
I noticed that she had froth/foam type substance in both eyes and from what ive read on the internet it doesnt sound to good  :(
I hope i was right in doing so but i seperated her in her own house with lots of fresh warm bedding and fresh food, water and i have checked on her today and she seems fine. Her eyes are clear, she smells normal, vent is nice and clean, shes eating and drinking well, so im confused now as what im to do.

Any advice would really help me, thankyou

helens-hens

Re: Not sure if i have a poorly hen.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 14:01 »
Hi TC. The foamy eyes sounds like a symptom of a respiratory ailment such as mycoplasma which also has other symptoms such as nasal discharge and so called 'darth-vader' breathing - like a rattling in their breathing, particularly when sleeping.

To the best of my knowledge, mycoplasma is an ailment that can remain dormant in hens and occasionally flare up, stress is a known trigger. Having said that you say she appears fine today so I would just keep an eye on her for a few days to be sure.

As an aside, you mentioned that you introduced 4 new hens - did you quarantine them first - generally it is recommended that they are kept separately (though in sight of) your existing flock for a couple of weeks to ensure they don't pass enything on to your original girls. If you didn't it is obviously too late to do that now but keep an eye on them and bear this in mind if you get any more additions.

Hope this helps.
Helen

TamCal

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 16:18 »
Thanks Helens-hens for your reply. Her breathing seems fine but i did notice that around her nasal area it was a little crusty so i think she must of had some sort of discharge at some point. Apart from this she seems fine but like you say i will keep an eye on her for a few days to be sure. I did keep the new hens away from my old girls for 1 week, maybe this wasnt long enough :( oh i do hope she gets better

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 17:13 »
Mycoplasma Gallisepicum (MG for short) which is actually the name of the infecting organism and the disease should more properly be called Chronic Respiratory disease (CRD). This is renowned as being induced by stress which you have a classic example of here introducing new birds.  This means your old hen is a carrier of this disease and you can expect it to recurr under stress conditions. 

Once they get this the condition is chronic and an outbreak can infect your other birds.  It can be treated but not cured with appropriate antibiotics and Tylan or Baytril are commonly prescribed by a vet.  a/bs are only available by prescription so you may need to treat them all if the others shows signs.  As it is Chronic and can pass to other chx you need to really only introduce vaccinated stock and you should not breed from affected birds.  If your old girl has a rattley breathing as helens-hens describes and you need to listen with your ear to her to tell personally I'd cull her as she will be a constant source of reinfection of respiratory infections even if this is treatable with a/bs it's not a very good way to go on.

What type of chx are these?  You need to bare in mind their age and history and what your plans are for future introductions before deciding what you do.  For the meantime keep your "sick" girl isolated until you are sure she's not showing the sort of symptoms helen describes.
Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

TamCal

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 16:17 »
Well i checked on her this morning and she once again had that foam in her eyes and i also listened to her and her breathing was as you described. We made the choice to cull her which wasnt an easy thing to do and very upsetting but i feel it was the right thing to do in the end. Thankyou for all your help and advice.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 16:37 »
Well i checked on her this morning and she once again had that foam in her eyes and i also listened to her and her breathing was as you described. We made the choice to cull her which wasnt an easy thing to do and very upsetting but i feel it was the right thing to do in the end. Thankyou for all your help and advice.

When it has to done it's best it's done quickly and well.  It's unfortunately part of keeping chx but you can be proud you did the right thing and didn't shrink from this last service you could render. 

Clean your coop and run from droppings.  Disinfect with a detergent wash first then spray either with Vanodine V18 best, or a household disinfectant if you can keep your birds off till dry.  MG doesn't last long off a bird and is easily killed with any contact disinfectant but for houshold disinfectant spray or Poultry Shield the surfaces must be reasonably clean. 

Keep your fingers crossed for your other birds keep stress down as much as possible but watch them and see the vet at the first signs. If they show signs get a water based antibiotic to treat.  Baytril or Tylan.  If after treatment the sneezing, nasal ocular discharge symptoms go but the rattlely breathing continues it's likely a carrier and could be best to cull.

HF

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by morbidia on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 12:10
by ANHBUC
xx
poorly hen please help

Started by vicpic39 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 22:33
by vicpic39
xx
poorly bum!

Started by Scrambler on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 22:23
by Scrambler

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 38 queries.