poorly hen

• 3 Replies

cristal666

poorly hen
« on: April 28, 2010, 13:52 »
hi all,
i have ex battery hens i have had them for seven months with no sick ones so far.although we did loose one to shock. (a dog got in and she curled up in the corner and with in the hour she was gone )

Today i spotted one of my girls is poorly, she is eating drinking doing all the things the others are ,but she keeps stretching her neck up and gasping.over the past few days they have had grit,yoghurt and some veg,corn and layers mash, and she still runs out to see what we have when we go out there.its not sour crop her crop is empty.any ideas?

she did make a run for it the other day and got to some grass, and she had a bit of feeding frenzy before i could get her out.

she has just eaten some maggots even though she was gasping in between mouth fulls.

cristal666

Re: poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 13:57 »
her poo is normal and she is drinking.
this may sound stange but it sounds like she has wind when she stretches her neck.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 14:18 »
I don't know but have they been wormed recently?  If not, use Flubenvet as it covers gape worm.  You don't have to stop eating the eggs either.  One of mine did a bit of that a few times and then went off and ate, drank and scratched around.  When I saw her doing it I rushed to get the Flubenvet but decided that as she had stopped not to do it.  Someone with more information will I'm sure be along to help.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 15:48 »
If you've not wormed them with flubenvet please do it now.  If the bird continues to gape and her breathing sounds poor then take her to the vets for some panacur.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly leg

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 21:49
by jo40
xx
A Poorly Hen

Started by mrs bouquet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 26, 2020, 19:57
by grinling
xx
Poorly eye

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2016, 12:48
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.