Thinking Ahead

• 1 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Thinking Ahead
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:13 »
Okay this year has started as badly as last year did for me with me getting another DVT in my right leg!

But being off work and only able to sit in bed is giving me the opportunity to plan ahead, but I need some help.

I am thinking of the flower garden at present and want advice as to where on the internet it is best to purchase Dahlia tubers and chrysanthemum plants? Has anyone go any ideas and/or good experiences?

Also like some advice on successfully growing the latter.  I grew last years in pots on the patio and managed a 1st prize at the local show, but that was more luck than judgement.  So what advice on growning chrysanthemums.

Regards

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

splodger

Thinking Ahead
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:31 »
hi there Rugbymad40, sorry to hear about the dvt - take it easy - and lets hope for a full and speedy recover.

you really need to wait for shaun - i think he is the chrysanths expert

i have been known to dabble with the odd dahlia - but i sent most of my spare tubers out to other forum members - over 20 lots in the end. my are all now all packed up and out of the way - till i need to re-plant them (prob in april)

i expect i could find you a few odd ones - but they won't be anything too fancy

i have never bought dahlia tubers (except a few i bought in spain about 10 years ago) i get mine from friends etc - if i see one that i like and haven't got - i get them to save me a few tubers.

i find that is the best way to build up a good collection - without spending a fortune  :wink:

having said that, i did notice that wilkos had a selection of dahlia tubers last year - at about a quid a throw - so it might be worth looking in your local store in march  :wink:

i did post a few dahlia pics in my gallery - nothing flash or fancy - but if you would like to try any of them - i'll see what i have going spare come planting time  :wink:

xx
Getting ahead of the game

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2017, 15:58
by New shoot
xx
Planning ahead for gaps

Started by New shoot on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 07:39
by New shoot
clip
Mass weed killing ahead of flattening and lawning

Started by Emma Fletcher on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2020, 19:50
by jezza
xx
Thinking of Hiring an Allotment

Started by Dawnte on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 12:47
by muntjac

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 36 queries.