Garlic In Pots

• 9 Replies

Markjp

Garlic In Pots
« on: February 26, 2013, 13:43 »
I followed John H's video on here and sowed my Garlic in pots in the greenhouse in January. They are now 3-4" high.

When should I plant them out?

Dai

• Experienced Member
Re: Garlic In Pots
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 16:18 »
have a look at the bottom of the pots, if you see quite a few roots coming through the holes in the bottom then i would say get them in the ground now.
(thats the state mine are in at the moment in 3" pots but i havnt been able to get the planting area ready yet) think i might have to move them on to bigger pots before im ready to plant them.
(Hold on tho that information for a bit though until you get a reply off someone that knows what they are doing)

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 17:02 »
I've been wondering the same thing.  The part of my plot mine will be going in needs a bit of weeding beforehand, and the ground has either been frozen or too wet!

They're in 3 inch pots too, so I may also be potting on to larger pots if the weather doesn't warm up.  Mine have been outside all winter though - maybe if you don't get chance to get them in the ground then get them outside?

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 19:34 »
I potted mine up on boxing day and they have been outside the whole time. they even got buried in the snow and was trampled on by my niece  >:(
they love the cold and need it for root growth apparently but even though they shouldn't grow too much again until the weather starts to warm up im a bit worried about them getting pot bound.

Markjp

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 13:10 »
After last years success with growing garlic in pots I am going to do the same this year.

I wanted to refresh my memory on the process and was looking for the John H video but I cant find it.

Has it been removed from the site or am I just not looking in the right place?

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 14:31 »
As it was so very wet last year I put mine in 3" pots then planted them out when the conditions were good. This year it is even wetter!! so started mine off in pots last week and the tips are showing this morning.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 16:20 »
Markjp, if you look top right at the green banner, you'll see Garden Videos listed, and they'll be in there.

I don't recall there was an actual garlic one, but the leeks one will be close enough. For leeks, they need a lot of root building time in order to create large cloves, so the sooner they're planted out, the better. They love cold weather so as long as the ground can be dug, it's never too early for them.

http://video.allotment-garden.org/215/planting-out-leeks-growing-leeks/

Markjp

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 17:10 »
Markjp, if you look top right at the green banner, you'll see Garden Videos listed, and they'll be in there.

I don't recall there was an actual garlic one, but the leeks one will be close enough. For leeks, they need a lot of root building time in order to create large cloves, so the sooner they're planted out, the better. They love cold weather so as long as the ground can be dug, it's never too early for them.

http://video.allotment-garden.org/215/planting-out-leeks-growing-leeks/

There was definitely a video by John in one of his greenhouses specifically talking about starting off garlic in pots in the greenhouse. I watched it several times last year.

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 17:44 »
I have never yet grown successful garlic but I do have a lot of experience of what not to do  :lol:

Last year I started them in pots but I must have left it too long before I put them out. When I dug them up lots of the rootballs were basically the same shape as the pots I started them in. They didn't get anywhere near filling the pots before I put them out so I can only think that they need to get out of their pots sooner than you might think.

Ema

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 18:58 »
Last year mine went into pots as I didn't have the space dug. I noticed this limited root growth to the compost in the pot even though they were planted before pot bound. I also found the compost around retained more water than the soil which could add to mould problems.

This year mine have gone straight in the ground and are a good 6inches already

xx
Garlic in pots

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 18:14
by Ema
xx
Garlic in pots

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 20:21
by bonfire
xx
Garlic in pots

Started by Andrew n on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 13:14
by Ema
xx
Garlic in pots

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 20, 2018, 02:39
by Snowboar

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 33 queries.