Huge butternut squash

• 3 Replies

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
Huge butternut squash
« on: December 02, 2015, 21:56 »
I have a huge butternut squash ( maybe 15" in length) which has been dried/cured in the shed for several weeks and is now sitting in my daughters kitchen in Lancaster.  We could make soup - not a favourite but would do some lunches. or Roast ? and freeze the surplus?  or save and she takes to friends for Christmas extras?  What would you suggest is best use please?  won't be eaten in one sitting by the 3 of us.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Huge butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:07 »
Roasting is probably the easiest prep.  I don't peel, just halve and scoop out the seeds, then put in the oven as is.  You can also wipe over with oil before it goes in and add seasoning, chilli or whatever.  The inner peel disappears and you can easily remove any thin layer of outer skin once it is out of the oven and cooled a bit.  If the skin is tough and you don't feel safe cutting it, you can cook the whole thing and remove the seeds afterwards, but it is a bit more messy.

Once cooked and chopped, it does make great soup, but if you are not keen on that, it also goes really well in curries, spaghetti sauces, chillies or just as side veg if warmed back up in the oven.  It can be mashed and used either with mashed potato or on its own to top a cottage pie.  Cooled mashed squash can also be added to bread mixes. 

It freezes really well, so no worries about leftovers  :)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:32 »
I have 7 huge butternuts this year. We love butternut soup....with chilli...red pepper all sorts. so I do make soup and freeze them. I  roasted some the other day and made a squash korma..it was luverly!. As New Shoot says it mashes well with potato to make great toppings etc.

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:13 »
Add some squash and carrots to this
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/?s=lobia
and it makes a great dish. Don't use 1:3 beans to water if you want to add canned chopped tomatoes at the end, like she does. 1 part beans to 2 parts water will probably be enough.

Roast and use it to make risotto. Absolutely fabulous.

Mash roasted squash and put a layer of squash then a layer of mashed potato on top. Sprinkle with a tasty cheese and bake in the oven till browned and hot.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.