Our New Hens

• 7 Replies

ganner

• Dorset
Our New Hens
« on: November 22, 2011, 18:28 »
Hi to all, here we go, we seen a advert in the local mag for chicken & hen houses for sell chap changing his circumstances, so he is selling off his chicken, we bought 10 + house on wheels, I have been reading all about keeping chicken on this site is really helpful I can thank you all enough, But how much should I feed them, they are about 25 weeks point of lay (when) I have seen it on here but just wanted to get in with some pictures as this seams to be the required thing
chooks.jpg

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
Re: Our New Hens
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 18:33 »
Hi!!  I just fill their feeding containers up with layers pellets and they just help themselves.   :)

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 18:49 »
thanks what about when will they start to lay or is it to cooled for them?

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 19:27 »
They really look lovely girls, a nice mixture of colours. You may get the odd egg or 2, I think most of us are now getting a reduced number. How old are your girls, do they have names yet? Im sure you will be a fantastic chooky parent. Congratulations on your new arrivals, and remember, we are all here if you need any help.

Best wishes,

Mary.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 19:43 »
Welcome ganner.  Lovely looking girls.  It might be an idea to worm them with flubenvet to make sure they are clear.  Their previous owner might not have wormed them so better safe than sorry.  If they are not moulting you may get some eggs shortly.  Let them have as much daylight as you can at this time of the year.  Best to have more than one feeder and drinker in case of spillage or bullying.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 08:54 »
thank you Mary & ANHBUC, no we haven't named them yet ill save that for the girls when they come back from uni, I will get some wormer from mvf that's where I got the layers pallets £8 is that good?. 1 or 2 do get out but go back thats only because of the alpacas i think they not to sure of them lol, i would love them to run free in the paddock but want to make sure they wont go off how long do you think I should leave them in the goats enclosure, there house on wheels its useful so I can just push it round. sorry they are about 25 weeks

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:02 »
I get my layers pellets from Mole Valley Farmers too. I read somewhere that you should beed them "good quality layers pellets". Does anyone know if "own brand" would fall into that category? I think mvf have a good reputation for their stuff.
Thanks. BG

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:23 »
I get my layers pellets from Mole Valley Farmers too. I read somewhere that you should beed them "good quality layers pellets". Does anyone know if "own brand" would fall into that category? I think mvf have a good reputation for their stuff.
Thanks. BG

I buy a local brand "Nutripeck"  for £6.99 it has a paper label attached with all the nutritional information on it.  It checked out as the same as "Farmgate" which I think locally is over £9.00.  Probably cheaper due to lower transport costs and not paying for a more well known brand.

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 38 queries.