Nancy and the new girls just didn't get on

• 2 Replies

Spacey

Nancy and the new girls just didn't get on
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:19 »
Well, I bought some new girls to keep my sole chicken company as she was being extremely vocal and lonely (she was only a solo hen for about 12 hours!)

Put the new girls with her and she became even move vocal. If I let her roam the garden she was perfectly happy as soon as she was put in the run with her new friends she became agitated and vocal. So we put the radio on for her in  the garden, this helped for a little while but she started again, so re rehomed her an another area of the garden in an old coop/run and was she quiet for a little while (more like a stunned silence!)

Yesterday morning she came out and sqwuaked/crowed/moaned, so with great regret I took her to the breeder to live her life at his place. He assured me she'll be fine with his hens as he moves them about quite a lot and the don't seem to notice a newcomer.

As I drove off I had a little cry, I have tried to do the right thing for her......

We live on a housing estate and I don't really want to upset the neighbours.

NormandyMary

Re: Nancy and the new girls just didn't get on
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 21:56 »
You know the saying...if you love them, let them go! You did the best thing for your girl, hopefully she will settle into her new home quickly. I had a similar problem with my Miss Red, who refused to go in with newbies when her own "sister" died. She ended up spending a good few nights camping "al frseco" because she wouldnt go home to bed. I never resolved the problem, as Mr Fox beat me to it and killed the lot of them.
Please try not to be sad, and dont hold it against your new girls.

Big hugs from France,

Mary.

Spacey

Re: Nancy and the new girls just didn't get on
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:52 »
The new girls are lovely, I can't blame them. Nancy is an old girl compared to them. She found the whole ordeal stressful. Seems we couldn't win (new friends or on her own).

She will certainly have a lot more investigating to do where shes gone. I'm hoping she will settle in and find it less stressful. She was rosey/crowing so much and so loudly she gave herself a sore throat!

xx
Why didn't I do this before?

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post November 25, 2015, 16:21
by nerdle
xx
Eglu cube didn't arive !!!!! : (

Started by wolverine on Chicken Chat

41 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 15:08
by joyfull
xx
Didn't come home from the show empty handed

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 09:14
by joyfull
xx
my new girls

Started by cassy on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 20:32
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.