Low fat fryer

• 8 Replies

gypsy

Low fat fryer
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:42 »
Has anyone got a low fat fryer? Not sure what they are really called, the ones where you put a tablespoon full of oil in to make a pan of chips. Are they any good?
Catherine

miggs

Re: Low fat fryer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:03 »

snow white

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:05 »
I have a low fat fryer . Needs to be low as I am so small :lol:   gosh, laugh a minute here! Seriously though no I haven't, but waiting for a reply sell!

gypsy

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 14:16 »
I have looked at loads of em, they seem to take a lot of space up as they need to be so large.  I only know one family who has one and it is huge as they are a family of 6. They only use it for chips and say it takes a long time to cook them but it cooks them like real chips.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 17:52 »
My friend has a Tefal Actifry.  Yes, it takes up a lot of space but it produces nice chips.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 18:21 »
We have an Actifry, been a long time since he was used, years in fact.

We used to use it with real potatoes, now Maris Piper are considered best for chips, but we found in the Actifry, they went soft & fluffy on the edges, that then went crisp, broke off & filled the base of the Actifry with crumbs.

The paddle seemed to mash the chips a bit & sometimes pushed them up into a heap, out onto the ledge of the pan.

Fresh chips take around 40 mins to cook, hot air is blown over the chips (like cooking with a hairdryer).

Another thing we noticed, the chips seemed to shrink & become "sweeter" in taste.

It also has a large footprint & takes up space.

The original one's had an issue of catching fire, we had a second generation one & it was fine.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 18:24 »
I looked at them 'cos I am a sucker for any piece of kitchen kit,  :wub:but decided they were to big, would take up too much space and would be a pain to clean.

So I continue to make my own low fat oven chips. So easy. You chip your spuds par boil them stick them on a baking tray and either toss them in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and some seasoning or spray with fry light and stick them im the oven at 180. The oven tray is easy to store and to clean.  I saved the money in readiness for an affordable water bath. :wub:

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 21:25 »
I bought one for hubby last Santa day :lol: He'd been on about them for years. Yes they are big,but we still use it,mainly for chips,we found 1 tablespoon of oil wasn't enough so use 2. Takes 20 minutes. Sausages are good,20 mins too. All bits go in dishwasher but fill it up. Not really used it for anything else,but do intend too one day.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 20:00 »
just tagging on to this one has any one seen one of those multi cooks by I think morphy Richards it frys , slow cooks and a few other things .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

xx
Igenix small deep-fat fryer...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2017, 12:39
by Growster...

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.