Ginger

• 5 Replies

Jo-n-Neil

Ginger
« on: March 05, 2008, 10:15 »
Morning all

I bought some ginger to grow from B&* a few days ago and it says on the bag to plant in a pot and then plant outside in a few weeks. I have since read a book that says ginger should be grown in a hot place such as next to a radiator. I just wondered if anyone had grown any before and which piece of advice was right.

Thanks  
Jo xx

compostqueen

Ginger
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:17 »
yeah I think so  :D  Keep it by the door so it's to hand when you need it and it gets a bit of warmth from the house wall etc

You can break off bits from supermarket ginger and put it in a pot of compost. That's what the Indian cookery teacher told us to do.  Give it a whirl  :D

Jo-n-Neil

Ginger
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 10:19 »
I wish i had known that before i went bought it from there, ive got some in the fridge.  :roll:

agapanthus

Ginger
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:53 »
They do love heat. Even when I lived in suffolk it was too chilly to put outside in the garden....used to have mine in a heated greenhouse and put outside in the summer months :)

gobs

Ginger
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 21:33 »
I do agree with Aggy, them people claim things that just don't happen. It is a tropical sort of plant. Some varieties are claimed to be quite frost hardy, but then I suppose, you have no variety name.

Jungle Seeds claims to have them outdoors, but I don't know if windy Bolsover is the place. :wink:

At any rate they would need a lot of winter protection and older established plants would be much better at putting with the elements, then young guys.

Just for the record, culinary ginger is another thing than possibly hardy ones. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

fletch

• Experienced Member
Ginger
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 22:46 »
The so called "hardy" gingers are all purely ornamental and grown for their attractive foliage and flowers.

Culinary ginger is not worth the space, heat and time. The rhizome takes forever to grow (not worth it when ginger is so cheap to buy) and the plant itself is nothing to write home about either. Not even worth it as a novelty in my opinion.
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

xx
Ginger

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2019, 09:33
by Enfield Glen
xx
Ginger in the UK?

Started by Calou on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 04:19
by mushroom
xx
Ginger

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 14:37
by mumofstig
xx
ginger

Started by gurtie on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 15:41
by Bluedave

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 38 queries.