when to pick chilli's

• 21 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Re: when to pick chilli's
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 08:05 »
And don't visit the loo half way through...

Back to topic I still have dried chillis from 2 years ago. But I found I prefer the froZen ones - the dried ones can be a bit chewy unless u stew in the pot for a while, in which case u lose some heat. Frozen ones dead easy. Out of freezer. Chop when still frozen then into pan to briefly defrost.

I also read in the guardian that if u pick when still green they tend to be hotter than fully ripe red ones - didn't know that.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 08:26 »
Two good tips there kermit, thanks! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 10:17 »
After my chilli incident last year I am very careful now. That was my second chilli incident and there will not be a third  :D

I am going to dry them and whizz them up in my Moulinex herb mill in small batches, whilst standing well back and having all the windows open and my nose and mouth covered. Hands will be gloved!

I froze a load of chillies once but prepared them first by splitting them in half and removing the seeds. What a mistake to make  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Little did I know that I would be gassed. I just about choked to death.  FREEZE THEM WHOLE, don't interfere with them other than maybe removing the stalk. 

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 20:14 »
Thanks, again everyone, would have thought that they would have been hotter when red and ripe, well you live and you learn.

Thanks Silky  :D :D :D
Talking to yourself maybe MAD, but at least I know what I mean.
You never stop learning.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 20:22 »
After my chilli incident last year I am very careful now. That was my second chilli incident and there will not be a third  :D

I am going to dry them and whizz them up in my Moulinex herb mill in small batches, whilst standing well back and having all the windows open and my nose and mouth covered. Hands will be gloved!

I froze a load of chillies once but prepared them first by splitting them in half and removing the seeds. What a mistake to make  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Little did I know that I would be gassed. I just about choked to death.  FREEZE THEM WHOLE, don't interfere with them other than maybe removing the stalk. 

I feel for you --- been there, done that and never again  :ohmy: :tongue2: :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 20:32 »
Seem to remember something in one of Bill Bryson's books where he mentioned how many US citizens had accidents in their homes involving their underwear (or something equally unlikely!)  ::)

If you whizz up your dried chillies in a covered coffee grinder (or similar) and tip the powder out gently (in anything less than a force 9 gale!) into a jar, I think you will avoid being a statistic in any of his future books!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 11:17 »
 :D

One year I dried them on kitchen paper above the lounge fireplace. They looked fine when I jarred them up but they went mouldy  >:(

Since using the electric dryer I had as a gift I've had complete success. Last year's crop is still in good nick in sterilised jars in my cuboard. Not got many left though.  They still keep their heat despite being dried, or do they get even hotter once dried?

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
How do I know when to pick PSB??

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 15:43
by ParsnipPete
xx
When to pick?

Started by Marky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 21:39
by DD.

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 29 queries.