How veg self sufficient are you?

• 24 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Re: How veg self sufficient are you?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 14:51 »
Not enough!     Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 20:34 »
fairly self-sufficient in that I have bought only a few onions and a few bags of salad in about 18 months. And some fruit that I dont grow.

When I took on the plot a couple of years ago I didn't aim to be self-sufficient; i grew things for fun and for flavour but when I realised how straightforward it all was (well, it is for the most part even with the odd disaster and as long as I keep organised) it sort of happened with the veg and soft fruit.

That is not to say I wouldnt buy veg and fruit if I need to but I get a bit irked if I do - esp at the prices charged for out-of-season and not-too-tasty fruit and veg!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 20:36 by Jonajo »
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 20:38 »
I would not like to have to rely solely on what we grow, however we are still eating spuds, parsnips, sprouts, a little kale, and broad beans from the freezer.

I don't buy spuds from about June-about Feb or March when they start to sprout, I don't buy parsnips at all as they freeze well, or broad beans.

I have to buy carrots and tomatoes all winter and spring and part of summer until they ripen.
I have to buy bananas and oranges as they don't grow well in Birmingham.

rainie

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 20:43 »
Not as much as we would like to be. However this year i plan to be more organised and grow more in succession,and am aiming for still having produce in the garden now til march april. This seems to be when i run out. There is still a little bit in the freezer though from last year.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 22:58 »
Wow thanks for the insight guys.  Im only new to large scale veg growing but fully intend to be as self sufficient as possible this year although i admit im finding the idea very daunting as im not the most organised of girls  :lol:

Swing Swang

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 22:58 »
Have been 80%, but now about 50% because I prefer to grow 'luxuries' at the expense of 'staples' and I've only so much space/time (cultivate 105 sqm). Also plan v carefully so can get 2 crops from same patch of soil by successional and inter-planting. So v few brassicas as they are cheap to buy/ditto maincrop spuds etc, but lots more soft fruits/mangetout/'exotics' and high yielding'  or 'expensive to buy' stuff etc

digalotty

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 23:13 »
self sufficiant in beetroot and hopefully beans this year other veg is selected for quality not quantity ,   i only have a half plot and like to grow a little of most regular things went all through summer with salad leaf off a small bed and did well with broad beans .
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

MoreWhisky

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 00:12 »
I would say we are about 75%.  Normally running out of stuff now. Not long till my PSB will be ready tho )
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 08:55 »
Wow thanks for the insight guys.  Im only new to large scale veg growing but fully intend to be as self sufficient as possible this year although i admit im finding the idea very daunting as im not the most organised of girls  :lol:
I think "good self sufficiency" probably has quite a lot to do with how much time you have to freeze and preserve.

We devote a lot of time to raising & planting from March - May, and beyond that we do very little/ I would like to freeze much more, but realistically we have not found the time in the last 4 years, and I don;t suppose we will this year either.  So I grow only the amount that I think we can eat, and we have very little "glut" therefore.

We have Butternut Squash, Onions, Potatoes in store, and excess Parsnips in the ground, which we ought to be converting to "cooked & frozen" ... but its not happening I'm ashamed to say!

I will now go and Google for "An 11 year's old guide to making pocket money from freezing vegetables" :)

Thrift

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 09:29 »
I'm only self sufficient during the growing months. Like others I find runner beans very disappointing when frozen. In general I prefer fresh so don't bother freezing much.

xx
Does it pay to be self sufficient?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post July 27, 2007, 10:48
by digital_biscuit
xx
self sufficient veg plotter

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 17:16
by craggy
xx
How many onions would grow to become self-sufficient?

Started by Fishplate42 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:15
by steven c
xx
Shop Bought Compost - Sufficient for Putting on My New Lotty?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 22:36
by Manteiga

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 35 queries.