self sufficient veg plotter

• 43 Replies

davethespread

Re: self sufficient veg plotter
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 20:06 »
would you :lol:
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

Poolfield2

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 20:12 »
Custard or icecream?

davethespread

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 20:13 »
oh it has to be custard ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 20:30 »
Dave...are you on a 'good for your heart' diet?? Just wondering you understand :lol:

davethespread

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 20:48 »
Dave...are you on a 'good for your heart' diet?? Just wondering you understand :lol:
of course MOS i have lost just over a stone already ;) there was not a chance of getting fat on rhubarb crumble and custard being emailed over :D :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 20:51 »
We are about 10 months self sufficient, we are still eating spuds, just about peas, broad beans, runner beans, beetroot, fruit, shallots, leeks have been made into gallons of soup which have been frozen, swedes.
On the plot I Have PSB which is about to sprout and will feed us for around 6-8weeks.
But we still buy some veg otherwise it will be to boring, life is for living not being misserable.

Oh soon to be growing our own eggs  ;)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

solway cropper

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 22:32 »
When I first saw the post I thought that's a daft question...it's what we're all trying to do. My first aim was to have some fresh food twelve months of the year and I've managed to do that for several years. At this time of year it's only sprouting seeds, leeks, spring onions, swedes, chard and spinach but it's a start. I still have beans, celery, plums, blackcurrants and apple puree in the freezer and loads of jam and chutney. I can't be fully self sufficient with the space I've got but I am getting there.

craggy

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 23:04 »
We are about 10 months self sufficient, we are still eating spuds, just about peas, broad beans, runner beans, beetroot, fruit, shallots, leeks have been made into gallons of soup which have been frozen, swedes.
On the plot I Have PSB which is about to sprout and will feed us for around 6-8weeks.
But we still buy some veg otherwise it will be to boring, life is for living not being misserable.

Why is self sufficiency miserable...Is buying veg exciting?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 09:26 »

No Craggy, but if have to eat seasonally, eating whats left at this time of the year will be damn boring and make us really misserable, hence we buy other veg to make up a variety on the plate. We are big veg eaters and like to pile it high on the plate.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 11:05 »
We were self sufficient in veg for years (family of four  :D ) but did get a little tired of PSB, kale and end of parsnips and leeks about now. And hated salted beans with a vengeance  :tongue2:

Had to be careful to make sure onions were not rotten, and winter sqaushes always lasted well.

Once we had a freezer though, life picked up no end.

Never had enough space for wheat, had lambs though, eggs and chicken from a friend and the occasional bartered beef.

Mr Sunny worked full time and me part time (4 hrs a day)

Loved it  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 13:54 »
Not quite there but almost self-sufficient -  the only veg I have bought since about May last year when the first harvesting came are a handful of onions and a bag of spuds (just the other week - as I hadn't planted quite enough spuds and onions last year)

I will buy veg again if I need to of course, but I what I do not do is buy from the shops "fresh" veg out of season. Or veg that has been imported from far far away. But I am more than happy to live off the frozen veg I have prepared many months back from the allotment, or those in storage and dipping into a pantry shelf jam-packed with preserves from the produce.

But the main reason for growing veg is not the self-sufficiency issue (that is merely a bonus for me): it is the flavour first and foremost.  And it always will be. Followed by the cost savings. And the sheer enjoyment of it permeates all of those benefits of course.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 16:33 »
We are 80% self sufficient, at a guess. We still have Butternut squash, potatoes, leeks, parsnips, Brussels, Jerusalem artichokes at present, and chard, pak choi, lettuce and chinese cabbage in the (cold greenhouse). Plus what is in the freezer (but we are a bit too lazy about that in the Summer to have enough).

We have stopped buying high air-miles vegetables, I just think it is wrong (apart from the fact that most don't travel well enough to taste good, and the horrific price).

But to achieve my harvest I use a high labour input system, starting almost everything off in pots. So I grow just a couple of cauliflowers every week or two - rather than a whole row, which would go to waste. I am also lucky to have a large plot, and a large greenhouse - and a large conservatory that I am allowed to use for plant rearing in the early part of the year.

I can't see the mass importing continuing ad infinitum, "peak oil" / increasing oil price will put paid to that (unless some other cheap-enough fuel emerges)

craggy

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 17:14 »

No Craggy, but if have to eat seasonally, eating whats left at this time of the year will be damn boring and make us really misserable, hence we buy other veg to make up a variety on the plate. We are big veg eaters and like to pile it high on the plate.
Fair enough.Ive got 6 warren hens,good layers.good luck with your hens.

craggy

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 17:16 »
Not quite there but almost self-sufficient -  the only veg I have bought since about May last year when the first harvesting came are a handful of onions and a bag of spuds (just the other week - as I hadn't planted quite enough spuds and onions last year)

I will buy veg again if I need to of course, but I what I do not do is buy from the shops "fresh" veg out of season. Or veg that has been imported from far far away. But I am more than happy to live off the frozen veg I have prepared many months back from the allotment, or those in storage and dipping into a pantry shelf jam-packed with preserves from the produce.

But the main reason for growing veg is not the self-sufficiency issue (that is merely a bonus for me): it is the flavour first and foremost.  And it always will be. Followed by the cost savings. And the sheer enjoyment of it permeates all of those benefits of course.
more power to you

xx
Does it pay to be self sufficient?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post July 27, 2007, 10:48
by digital_biscuit
xx
How veg self sufficient are you?

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 09:29
by Thrift
xx
How many onions would grow to become self-sufficient?

Started by Fishplate42 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:15
by steven c
xx
Shop Bought Compost - Sufficient for Putting on My New Lotty?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 22:36
by Manteiga

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 40 queries.