Parsnips??

• 12 Replies

midders

Parsnips??
« on: March 14, 2008, 13:04 »
Hi all been to my plot today and have sown two drills of parsnips - exhibition variety.

My mum told me that parsnips are pretty bad at germinating and are pretty inconsistant? Is the old adage of mother knows best true in the case of parsnips? I put around two to three seeds in each 4 inch deep hole to give me more of a chance.

Does anyone else know of anyways to help them germinate? Also what care do they need whilst they grow?

Sorry for all the questions... im a newbie! :shock:

Cheers

Midders

paintedlady

Re: Parsnips??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 13:27 »
Quote from: "midders"
? I put around two to three seeds in each 4 inch deep hole to give me more of a chance

:shock:

bit deep innit?  Should only be about 1/4 inch if that!

Parsnip germination is as mother says, very sporadic - always use FRESH seed as its viability drops off rather rapidly in 12 months, so don't use last year's open packet of seeds :wink:   2-3 seeds per "hole" is best policy.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

MICK WARREN

Parsnips??
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 13:36 »
I always make a 6 inch hole with a thick cane and twist it so you end up with a cone shaped hole and then fill it with peat based compost and put 3or4 seeds about half inch from top then cover and water. Plant a radish next to each hole as they take a long time to germinate and you might loose them, the radish grow v fast. I use Archer variety which always gives me good Parsnips in the early spring.

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Parsnips??
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 14:00 »
I put my 'Gladiators' in last weekend. Always had good germination. I would agree 4 inches is very deep, not sure if the little seedlings will make it to the top?? Mine went in 1.5inches deep.

mumsy

Parsnips??
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 18:05 »
I always start mine off in the greenhouse then transplant (very carefully)the strongest ones by the method above, make a deep hole using a cane. Always werks for me!!!

digby

• Experienced Member
Parsnips??
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 18:58 »
After planting a whole row last year I had 8 come up, then I found another when I was prepping the ground for this year - so 9 out of a whole packet - pathetic, still trying again though.

gobs

Parsnips??
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:10 »
Use fresh seed, keep moist, don't sow too deep and sow once the soil is above 7C, nowt else to it, really.

Of course, if there is some disease or bugs in the soil, (also carrots, parsley and the slugs) seedlings can be decimated before showing above ground level, which is quite often seen as no germination. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

pommes

Parsnips
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:57 »
I did hear on Gardener's Question Time this week, advice from a commercial grower is to put parsnip seeds in the fridge for about a week prior to planting. Remove them & bring back up to temp for a couple of hours before planting.

buzzybee

Parsnips??
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 20:54 »
Last year used the old loo roll tubes, germinated in cold greenhouse and when looking strong and weather ok planted the whole thing in the garden.
Excellent germination and good crop. the loo rolls just rotted away.
Will try the same thing again this year.

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
Parsnips??
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 07:08 »
Agree, loo rolls are the future  :lol:  Tis the only way to see which have germinated properly before planting out. No wasted ground either. Will be putting mine out over easter.
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

compostqueen

Parsnips??
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 10:04 »
I just planted out my bog roll tube broad beans and the root systems were really big and strong and all coming out the sides of the tubes  :D  Incidentally, the hole a bulb planter makes is exactly the same size as the bog roll  :D   Mine cost me £1.99 and I use it for planting everything practically

Peterjohn

Parsnips??
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 15:42 »
I sowed mine in mid May last year and the germernation seemed to be very good so going to leave them late again.

Peter

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Parsnips??
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 16:54 »
Last year I laid seeds out on a plate of damp kitchen paper (& some more paper and a second plate upside down on top) and germinated them in the warmth inside.

As soon as I got a tiny root I planted out, one seed to each hole.  As our ground is stoney I made a deep hole with a stick, filled it with sand and then planted each seed on top with a bit more sand over that again.

Worked for me.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 22:18
by Yorkie
xx
Parsnips

Started by superluke2 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 22:52
by adri
xx
Parsnips - Can I sow now?

Started by davesellars on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2012, 11:33
by davesellars

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 39 queries.