How many onions would grow to become self-sufficient?

• 6 Replies

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
How many onions would grow to become self-sufficient?
« on: February 10, 2021, 07:51 »
Maybe we are just onion obsessed, but we seem to use a lot of onions in a year. I think we would need between 700 and a 1000! How many onions do you grow?

There are three of us, my wife, my 94-yearold Mother and me. We eat at home every day; breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Soup is a popular choice at lunchtime and most evening meals involve onions in one form or another, from pasta sauce to stews and fried onion with sausages/burgers, and then there are onions involved in making the burgers. We do cook from the ground up, using raw ingredients almost exclusively as we both enjoy the cooking. At that rate we use maybe 2-3 onions a day on average!

Then there are all the salads, and you can't have a cheese sandwich without a good layer of raw onion...

Hmmm... maybe we are just have an onion addiction, does onionisum actually exist?   "Hello, my name is Ralph and I like onions" :-)

Ralph.
I need more space...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How many onions would grow to become self-sufficient?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 09:12 »
I also like an onion or 2  :lol:
Growing enough to last the year, though, would take up an awful lot of my allotment, much more than I'm prepared to give them when there's so much else I want to grow.

They get 1 of my 5 beds that get rotated. Last year, from memory - that was 50 sets of Snowball, 15ft row of seed-grown Globo and a 15ft row of multi-sown Long Red Florence salad onions.
They didn't last that long, especially as some got basal-rot. Shan't grow onions in that bed again for a while  :(

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 09:24 »
That's an awful lot of onions!  :lol:
This year I'll be growing between 300-500 onions, some I'll store whole but a lot I'll chop and freeze, but like MOS, there's a lot more types of veg that I'll be growing and don't want to take up all my ground for one veg. Have you thought about growing spring onions, they'll give you the flavour but will take up a heck of a lot less space

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 09:36 »
I must admit, I had not thought about the space, I was just musing the idea when I realised just how many onions we actually eat. I have 130 sets growing at the moment and a couple of other varieties coming on from seed. I expect we will actually end up with a (low) few hundred, if we are lucky.

We probably have enough room to grow 1000 onions, but that would mean reducing the space for other more worthwhile crops, as has been said.

We do also grow spring onions, leeks and garlic in reasonable numbers. This year we are being frugal with the sowing of brassicas - there is only so much cabbage we can eat.

Ralph.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 14:48 »
although I haven't counted the onion sets we have 5 seed trays full there must be 600 or more then we have 6 trays of onion plants + 100 pots of onion we set last autumn that have been growing in the poly tunnel that's not counting the spring onion growing in pots

we recon to grow enough onions to keep us going till the next onion crops are ready but that's not always the case my wife always strings then up to keep them through the winter months and they seem to keep better than in trays

don't give up on the brassicas Ralph

Ema

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 20:42 »
We probably average 1 a day as a couple. They are always on the shopping list. Although a little less as we still have a lot of leeks in the ground.

This year I was trying to grow them in groups of 4 from seed poor germination rates at the moment. :(

We also have what seems to be an all season chive clump and we use this instead of spring onions.

We’re growing 5 different types of garlic this year so about 50 cloves - I hope we can make them last the year

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 08:15 »
maybe look at the type of onion we have been growing ailsa craig for several years not supposed to store well
but we are still using last years these can get very big  [over one pound each]  with this type you perhaps would not need as many [we still plant at normal spacing ] if you have a Range near you 2 packs a pound
or premier seeds had them   happy growing
from bow like to grow

xx
Best way to grow onions

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 19:13
by SG6
xx
I want to grow onions.

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2017, 15:09
by AndyRVTR
xx
Onions and how to grow them.

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 12, 2020, 20:16
by Tenhens
xx
Best way to grow onions

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 09:39
by Eblana

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 44 queries.