Growing Winter Squashes For The First Time - Another Question

• 10 Replies

Markjp

I am growing Winter Squashes for the first time in one of my raised beds. I had some free seeds from a magazine and I am growing the following varieties:-

Butternut Hawk F1
Vegetable Spaghetti
Sweet Dumpling

I have 7 plants in my raised bed and the foliage now virtually covers the whole bed, now I know why it says space each plant 3ft apart!

My main question is how many squashes should I allow to mature on each plant? Or should I just let the plants do there own thing and see what I get?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 23:29 by Markjp »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing Winter Squashes For The First Time.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 23:26 »
I always just let them get on with it, til the end of the season, and the weather starts to change.

Then, when there is really no chance of baby ones getting big enough -  I will take them off.

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:08 »
Like MoS I just let them get on with it.   Last year I grew Boston squash.  It was a very vigorous plant and threatened to invade next door's plot.   It produced lots of baby squash, but the plant decided to limit how many reached maturity by itself.   Three huge squash developed fully, but the rest decayed and dropped off without any intervention from me.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:49 »
I just let them get on with it, any that clearly aren't going to ripen come september I just pick and use in casseroles like courgettes, but they have a better texture.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 23:03 »
I just let them get on with it, any that clearly aren't going to ripen come september I just pick and use in casseroles like courgettes, but they have a better texture.

Snap  :D :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 09:21 »
They do tend to run amock once they get going. Like everyone else I let mine get on with it, but now and then you have to treat them like children, and gently take them by the hand (end of the trailing stem), and guide them to where you want them to grow, otherwise they'd end up two plots away.

Markjp

Thanks for the replies.

Another question if I may regarding pollination.

The Vegetable Spaghetti seems to be getting pollinated ok but the Butternut and Sweet Dumpling do not.

With my courgettes I usually help pollination along by picking a male flower rubbing the pollen off on the female flower.

Now with 3 different varieties of Squashes does it matter which plant the male flower comes from if I want to pollinate the female flowers?

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
No as long as you aren't saving the seed to replant next year.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Thanks for the replies.

The Vegetable Spaghetti seems to be getting pollinated ok but the Butternut and Sweet Dumpling do not.

With my courgettes I usually help pollination along by picking a male flower rubbing the pollen off on the female flower.

Now with 3 different varieties of Squashes does it matter which plant the male flower comes from if I want to pollinate the female flowers?

There are different families within the curcurbits. Waltham is in c.moschata, Sweet Dumpling is c.pepo. My understanding is that moschata and pepo varieties won't cross with each other.

But the spaghetti squash is another pepo, and that will happily cross with the sweet dumpling, so you could use male flowers from that to pollinate the sweet dumpling females.

Markjp

Thanks for the replies.

There are different families within the curcurbits. Waltham is in c.moschata, Sweet Dumpling is c.pepo. My understanding is that moschata and pepo varieties won't cross with each other.

But the spaghetti squash is another pepo, and that will happily cross with the sweet dumpling, so you could use male flowers from that to pollinate the sweet dumpling females.

What is Waltham? Do you mean the Butternut?

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 17:19 by mumofstig »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014

What is Waltham? Do you mean the Butternut?

Yes I do. Sorry. I'm growing Waltham butternut, not you. D'oh.   ::)

xx
Winter Squashes

Started by silver8 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 27, 2006, 12:03
by Heather_S
xx
Winter squashes / Pumpkins

Started by Schubunny on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 22:41
by Schubunny
xx
Growing squashes vertically!

Started by beki on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 07:01
by tomato-joy
xx
Growing squashes up trellis

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2018, 09:25
by madcat

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 38 queries.