raised beds

• 5 Replies

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
raised beds
« on: July 04, 2007, 17:03 »
hello all :tongue2:
          been having a chat with mum and think of turning the alloments in riased beds expected for any that have thing in that can not be  move each bed would be six foot across so we can reach to weed from each side
and the width of the plot should get about six or seven on each plot . any iclue what would be best apart from wood  :? yours big green bloke :tongue2:
remember plants can't read books

BAK

• BK This and That
raised beds
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 18:05 »
6 feet sounds too wide even if you are a big bloke.

4 to 4.5 feet is more normal.

You do not need to have any surrounds. In my case bits of soil (but not a great deal) topple off the bed and onto upside down carpet that I use on the paths in between the beds. I periodically scrape it off the carpet and back onto the bed with a hoe.

The only people on our site who use (wooden) surrounds are those that use bark for their paths.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
raised beds
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 20:48 »
The other advantage with not having edging is that they can harbour a lot of slugs etc.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

shaun

raised beds
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 21:31 »
with all this rain lately I can see the advantage of raised beds,but personally I would just raise the ground.
paving slabs would make good raised beds,take 3'x2' or 2'x2' slabs and dig em in 12"  for extra strength you could strap the corners with flat bar drilled and screwed/bolted,they would last a lot longer than timber  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Patrick

Raised beds
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 12:01 »
Hello big green bloke.
I think beds are a good idea but I agree with Bak, 6ft is too wide.
I have beds about 5ft wide. Even that is sometimes awkward for weeding. Bindweed and couch grass mainly. They're not raised as such, just patches of ground I grow on with paths in between. The paths are just plain earth. As richyrich7 says, why provide a nice environment for slugs.
I have a path(plain earth) up the middle of my plot with 12 beds about 11ft X 5ft each side,so I have 6 beds for each family of veg I grow.
This is the first time I've had an allotment and it's working for me.

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
raised beds
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 16:26 »
Hi, I would go with 4 feet across for your beds, also worth thinking about the length, keeping them reasonable otherwise you can find yourself walking a long way round especially at planting time if you sow like I do in short rows!

I use raised beds just as mounds of earth. Like mentioned above it has it's advantages in not harbouring pests and the cost of course.

Wayne.
Cheers,

Wayne.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised beds

Started by mat whitlock on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 01, 2016, 19:47
by Growster...
xx
my new raised beds

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 08:01
by Patricia
xx
TLC for raised beds

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 20:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 38 queries.