RAISED BEDS??

• 8 Replies

NATHAN

RAISED BEDS??
« on: April 10, 2007, 12:02 »
Hi all, wonder if i could have a little advice.

I have spent the last few months clearing an allotment 40 ft by 20 ft. It is now clear and i think ready to plant but the soil is dry and not what i imagined seeds would thrive in. I am beginning to wonder if i should have put raised beds in. A large piece of empty soil appears surprisingly intimidating when you are doing this for the first time. Any advice on the best method?? I suppose its a bit late to start putting in raised beds??

Thanks  :?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
RAISED BEDS??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12 »
Hi Nathan, you would probably get many answers to this one and I think its personal choice, I prefer the non raised bed system, i did have raised beds originaly but due to the type of weeds I have, I have found it easier to clear the plot as one big empty piece of ground. its probably not too late if your quick. Not much of answer but its a start.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

WG.

RAISED BEDS??
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:14 »
One of the advantages of raised beds is to improve drainage in the early part of the season ... no need for that this year.

Dig a hole 9 inches deep - does the soil look nice under the surface?

If you are concerned that your soil is too dry, you can always add wetted compost to the sowing drills or sowing stations.  Sow onto this & then cover it up with dry soil to slow evaporation.

Annie

RAISED BEDS??
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 13:10 »
Try without raised beds first.We all have dry soil at the moment,I`m having to water seedling regularly,the few I`ve sown direct,which is unusual for this time of the year.Also,trust me that large patch of earth will soon fill up and you`l be searching for a little place to plant late crops!l

milkman

RAISED BEDS??
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 13:20 »
I have gone for fixed beds in preference to raised beds - see the pics in my profile personal gallery - less effort required for finding materials for raising them up.  

With the space you have (by my maths) you could have 9 fixed beds each 4ft wide by about 12 ft long (or 12 beds if you have narrower paths in between) - one could be for permanent stuff like soft fruit or rhubarb or asparagus, with the remaining beds for a 4 or 8 year crop rotation.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Wobblymoo

• http://www.wobblymoo.co.uk/blog
RAISED BEDS??
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 23:42 »
I've only put a raised bed in because I had no other option. If I had the land and drainage, I wouldn't have bothered
Denise

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
RAISED BEDS??
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 08:30 »
Quote from: "milkman"
I have gone for fixed beds in preference to raised beds - see the pics in my profile personal gallery - less effort required for finding materials for raising them up.  

With the space you have (by my maths) you could have 9 fixed beds each 4ft wide by about 12 ft long (or 12 beds if you have narrower paths in between) - one could be for permanent stuff like soft fruit or rhubarb or asparagus, with the remaining beds for a 4 or 8 year crop rotation.

OK I am confused, they look like what folks on our site are calling raised beds? It's what I was planning to do!

WG.

RAISED BEDS??
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:33 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Quote from: "milkman"
I have gone for fixed beds in preference to raised beds - see the pics in my profile personal gallery

OK I am confused, they look like what folks on our site are calling raised beds? It's what I was planning to do!

Milkman's beds are the same level as the surrounding ground - hence fixed beds.  They merely have wood around to retain soil and look tidier.

Trillium

RAISED BEDS??
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 15:06 »
What I think people forget to mention, is that the gardener must have a good look at his/her soil and area annual rainfall first to determine how they should handle the bed-no bed situation.
If you have good, loamy type soil then you can go either way - personal choice on aesthetics. If it also rains a lot your way and the ground seems a bit boggy much of the time, then raised beds (with or without side boards for edging) would be better to keep the soil a bit drier. Few veg plants like wet soil. If you don't get that much rain, then non-raised is a better choice. However, for carrots, you might want a raised bed for them to deter carrot fly.
On the other hand, if your soil is clay, stoney, chalky, too acidic or just plain junky, regardless of rainfall, then raised is your best alternative. Loosen the ground layer with a garden fork for better drainage and air supply, build your beds (with or without edging, but the latter tends to be more effective here) and add whatever good soil, compost, manure, shredded leaves, etc you can get, and build it up about 12" high. That should get most crops growing well, and add good stuff to it yearly.
Just remember what works for one forum member, isn't always great for another since the areas we live in are so diverse in weather, rainfall and soil.  :wink:

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 00:48
by SkipRat
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 14:18
by moose
xx
Raised beds

Started by vegman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 11, 2007, 12:02
by supersprout

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 38 queries.