red mites again

• 15 Replies

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
red mites again
« on: April 28, 2008, 14:39 »
I have red mite in my hen house again, I dont undertand, I clean them out regular and wash out house and then sprinkle diatom.  Hubby has bought a jet washer so going to try that now.  One of my hens is looking really under the weather, she has that grey look about her face, we sprayed them with a spray and vaseleined their legs this week.  She is also mucky at her back end , so I washed her down.  If we get all the mites out of the house, how do we get all the ones that may be on our hens already.

mikebucks

red mites
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 14:58 »
Hi Shazzer, I have only had my chickens for about 3 months but I was told to rub the red mite powder into their feathers. I dont know what is in it but it makes the ckickens smell nice and fresh. I am sure someone moreexperienced will conme up with a more exact answer but good luck with the mites destruction

Mike

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
red mites again
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 16:58 »
Bad luck Shazzer :(    

I presume its a wooden house !  You need to thoroughly clean it and treat all the nooks and crannies with poweder.  Some wooden house owners even go around the nooks and crannies with a blow torch  :shock: Powder the birds well.  I'd even consider treating them with Frontline just to make sure you get them this time  :evil:

Hsave you looked at this information article:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=61244#61244

jammy

red mites again
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 20:12 »
oh Shazzer, you must be really fed up by now :(  I can vouch for frontline, one of mine had lice a few months ago and looked just like your description, messy bum, looking sad and generally fed up with herself and when i checked her the lice were congregated around her back end and nowhere else but the frontline worked great.  
Keep at them, im sure you'll get there in the end   :)

stickywicket

red mites again
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 22:52 »
Hi. I know someone who regularly uses a blow torch. She says you can hear the mites go "snap, crackle and pop" and its very satisfying! :twisted:

She also recommends putting cellotape round either end of the perch but sticky side up so the mites end up getting stuck to it and never reach the birds   :D

Best of luck.

Bodger

red mites again
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 22:55 »
Shazzer
Get some of this stuff and you'l never have a problem again. Use it on the fabric of the shed and on your chickens.

http://www.farmrite.co.uk/product.ds2?p=106087

My local agricultural merchant stocks it and so might yours

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
frontline
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 10:04 »
Someone suggested Frontline for mite, do they mean the stuff for cats and dogs.

jammy

red mites again
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12 »
Yes use the one for cats, have a look at the link Aunt Sally put in her post above, about half way down it gives you all the info you need about frontline.

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
red mites again
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 15:00 »
Ivermectin Eprinex will treat endo- and exo-parasites, whereas Frontline only treats exo-parasites- What does this mean?

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
red mites again
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 15:07 »
What a morning, we jet washed the hen house (inside and out) then washed it out with Jeyes fluid and rinsed and then sprayed it with Poultry sheild.  Went out to see how the drying out was getting on only to find the blooming mites (literally) crawling all over the place, i suppose they take a while to die.  We also dusted all the birds with diatom. What should be my follow up on that and when?

Bodger

red mites again
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 16:26 »
Shazzer! Shazzer ! I've told you what to get. :lol:

si-mate

• Experienced Member
red mites again
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 16:51 »
Quote from: "Shazzer"
Ivermectin Eprinex will treat endo- and exo-parasites, whereas Frontline only treats exo-parasites- What does this mean?

Endo parasites are internal, exo = external.

Foxy

red mites again
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 16:59 »
frontline spray (not drops!) for lice and fleas - I use it only for shows and new birds not routinely. I tend to use something similar to diatom.

If you can seeing them crawling out -its quite horrific I know,(been there and uggghhh!)but thats a good thing! I gave them a couple of hours then blitzed again before they've hidden again - and again 7 days later.

Good luck and dont be disheartened! we 've all been there :?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
red mites again
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 17:19 »
I've heard it takes the little blighters a couple of days to die properly, unles you blow torch them, then I suppose that is instant!!!! lol

When Brian built the big henhouse extension, I poultryshielded the inside, but creosoted the outside. (I know your not supposed to, but the chooks didn't go in there for over a week, so it was dry and most of the smell had gone!)  Then when I went down there afterwards, where the mite had spread from the old house into the extension and got caught in the creosote, they were all black and fossilised!

Haven't seen them since, although I always clean out and disinfect and spray with poultryshield between flocks.

conventgirl

red mites again
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 12:12 »
Red mites are awful.  They take ages to get rid of.  In our case we tried everything...you think you are on top of the problem and then it goes back to being infested again.

Full fat coke sprayed onto the wood worked for a while!!  Have no idea how it worked.

Every night i also powdered the girls up.

Good luck with this fight and dont give up

:)

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
Red Mites

Started by GaryH on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 17:31
by Yorkie
xx
mites

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 18:16
by kegs
xx
mites

Started by RigsVilleBird on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 22:16
by RigsVilleBird

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.