Yum yum rabbit anyone?

• 5 Replies

Dreamer@45

Yum yum rabbit anyone?
« on: November 20, 2010, 19:01 »
Anyone on here keep bunnies for food? From what I’ve read on the subject they can supply a good quantity of quality meat from just two does and a buck. I remember as a kid being given rabbit casserole on a regular basis and yet over the years it has grown out of fashion. Anyways, a few months ago I went to the local butchers and asked for some rabbit meat and was presented with a frozen wild rabbit carcass. What a stink! :tongue2: And the poor pan I tried to cook the thing in had to be thrown away due to the stench. :blink: So, still determined to give rabbit a go I recently purchased a FARMED New zealand white  rabbit carcass. WOW what a difference! The flavour is truly delicious, and I’m amazed that rabbit meat is not as popular as it should be IMO. I’m now in the process of building some hutches. :D 

spottymint

Re: Yum yum rabbit anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 19:38 »
Hi

Only kept as pets, this advert is in the classifieds.

http://ads.allotment-garden.org/176-meat-rabbits/1/listings.html

They are near me, you don't mention where you are. They also run classes on all aspects, including the deed !

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 20:11 »
We used to breed rabbits for the table and have also been a ferreter. I prefer wild rabbit to domestic ones but dislike the smell of it cooking, the solution is a teaspoon full of curry powder.
It really does work even on old buck stewing rabbits   :)

We kept two NZW does and a pet/ stud Old English buck who weighed 7lb. Two litters at the same time would mean 25 rabbits to find wild green food for daily plus pellets.

If you dislike the smell of cooking rabbit then mucking out or paunching them is probably not a job for you. :wacko:

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 22:59 »
Hope i dont change this thread but came into this section looking for a rabbit stew recipe. Justbeen told of a local butcher that has fresh, wild, local rabbit at £3 each.I remember liking rabbit loads some 30yrs ago so want to give it a try. Dont remember it smelling alot, :(,  how bad is it, fads quickly or more like grilled kippers and smells for days :)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:03 »
Hope i dont change this thread but came into this section looking for a rabbit stew recipe. Justbeen told of a local butcher that has fresh, wild, local rabbit at £3 each.I remember liking rabbit loads some 30yrs ago so want to give it a try. Dont remember it smelling alot, :(,  how bad is it, fads quickly or more like grilled kippers and smells for days :)

With wild game you can get a huge difference in taste (and cooking smell) due to age, sex and diet. A young rabbit taken from a dairy farms grass will not be as strong tasting as an ancient buck from poor heathland.
Odour from a cooked kipper will linger far longer than the rabbit.
If you use herbs in the dish you are cooking it should mask the smell without overpowering the flavour.

A burnihg vanilla scented candle may also help as it does when cooking fish.

Dreamer@45

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 19:35 »
Thanks for the replies and links guys. With regards to eating wild rabbit personally I wont bother as the smell puts me right off, :tongue2: though if you like eating wild game then fill yer boots! All I can say is that the farmed rabbit I ate was really delicious and justa like mama used to make with no funny sniffs. :D

xx
Rabbit and..............

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 22:53
by asd1
xx
so you have your rabbit ,,, what now

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 21, 2006, 23:41
by Flower
xx
A Rabbit Recipe

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 23:15
by Bodger
xx
Rabbit Pate

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 20:22
by crowndale

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.