white powery beak and bum

• 5 Replies

Squidy

white powery beak and bum
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:15 »
hi, im new tto the forum, i've had my 5 hens for about 6 months and they have been doing realy well, i got them from a free range farm when they were changing stock, so they are getting on a bit!
one of my hens has developed a white powdery beak and bum, i've tryed researching the symptoms but cant find anything, could some one point me in the right direction as i don't know whether to put her in quarantine or if its nothing to be concerned about! please help!!!  :(

bantam novice

Re: white powery beak and bum
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 09:51 »
Welcome to the forum, Squidy.  I am not very experienced but others here are and will be along to give you advice.  You may want to try taking the temperature by feeling under her wing and feeling under the wing of another hen to see if she feels hotter.  Is she eating, drinking and poohing OK?  Is she quiet and hunched or scratching about with the other hens?  What has she been eating?  I hope this helps.  Good Luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

fenella

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 12:08 »
New one to me  - you say her beak is white & powdery, could she have got this from pecking at the bum area, or is it the beak itself is different (like our nails go when we're in poor health)? Is she otherwise in good form, ie perky and feeding?

Either way my first action would be to worm them all, as 6 months is the usual interval between wormings (and the chances are the farm won't have wormed them prior to replacing them). I use flubenvet with good results.

Squidy

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:27 »
she's feeding ok, she seem's a little reclusive but not to the point that i would have noticed if she didnt have the white stuff on her, will check temp later! thanks for the quick replys, they're on a layers diet with a late afternoon corn feed!

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 20:28 »
Just check that she hasn't found her way into some white powder/paint. Does it wash off? If so wash and watch what happens.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 20:31 »
Hi there.  A picture would be useful  :)

xx
white powdery beak

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 12:40
by joyfull
xx
what do i do with beak????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 21:24
by chickenlady
xx
Beak help

Started by MrsTruper on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:20
by Chookiechook
xx
I have a beak

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 14:40
by oddpaws

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 28 queries.