new in sheffield area need a mentor

• 13 Replies

cherry

new in sheffield area need a mentor
« on: October 27, 2009, 17:51 »
Hi
My OH and I have just decided to start to keep chickens for eggs and (if I can slaughter) for the table.  would like to hear from anyone in this area who would be prepared to give advice on the very basics to get us going.
I am considering orpingtons for eggs but am open to suggestions (particularly if white eggs).

look forward to your replies!
cherry 

poultrygeist

Re: new in sheffield area need a mentor
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 18:30 »
Hi Cherry. Welcome to the forums.  :)

Used to live and work near Sheff but a bit far away now. It's not as difficult as it sounds (chickenkeeping) as long as you get advice here first. :D
You'll need to beat people off with a stick after a bit.

Good luck with it all.
Rob

cherry

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 18:47 »
Thanks Rob
I hope I have replied correctly - this is the first time I have used a forum  :unsure:

I have read a lot of the threads on here already but still not sure about choices for eggs and table (or if there is a breed suitable for both ???)
thanks
Cherry

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 18:51 »
I'd never used a forum either until I joined this one but Ive got the hang of it  :D

I won't try to advise on breeds. We only had the 6 Amberlinks which are excellent egg layers but are far too scrawny for the table. They went to a retirement home at the weekend so we're going to be looking ourselves in Spring.
How many of each are you looking for ?
And what sort of area do you have ?

Rob

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 19:05 »
Hi and welcome to the forum. You could try getting light sussex as they are a dual purpose bird I think  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

cherry

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 19:08 »
we were thinking of 5 to start with in the back garden.  not a huge amount of space but have been looking at walk in ark with run for when I am not in to keep an eye on the birds!!

cherry

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 19:10 »
thanks joyfell

I will look them up! ;)

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 21:14 »
how about rhode island reds, supposed to be a dual bird, nice and easy to get along with

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 21:19 »
Hello and welcome!  :D my dorkings are a huge bird that will lay white eggs and the boys will make good eating! :happy:

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

treacleminer

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 21:49 »
I got 2 light sussex about 18 months ago thinking that they could be 'dual purpose' birds - and I must admit having done the 'kill, pluck, gut & bone' course recently if they don't get back round to laying soon I may be looking up long slow cooking recipes.  They are quite a large, lazy bird.  Having said that I think it would be easier to breed up specific birds that you are going to eat rather than just taking one from a small back yard flock from which you are also getting eggs.

You may find it useful to do a search on 'chicken keeping courses' more and more places seem to do one and you may find a supplier near you does - I found going on one helpful before I first started - at least I knew I could deal with the basics with confidence.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 21:49 »
Hi Cherry and welcome to the forum.

Light Sussex are a dual purpose bird and lay really good sized tinted eggs but if you are keeping them as pets in your garden would you be able to cull for the table?????

I know I couldn't do it and I do have table birds but in another location so I don't get attached. If you can find somewhere else to keep table birds the better it will be for you.

Good luck in what ever bird you choose and enjoy them as they are great characters.

cherry

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:18 »
Thank you all for your replies and words of wisdom!  :) You have given me a lot to think about and research before we begin keeping chickens.  I am going to try and find a chicken keeping course in South Yorks / Derbyshire area - if you know of any perhaps you could let me know ???

Flowerpower136

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 14:44 »
Have a look on the Omlet website, they run courses, just put in your post code and it will show if any nearby.
I went on one when I started with chucks in August.  It was great fun, and no hard sell re cubes and egloos, though it was useful to have a close look at them.  I'd already decided on a self made coop anyway.
Our host was very knowledgeable, her hens were lovely, we had an opportunity to hold the best behaved one 'Buzz', have a look at her vent, check for lice, etc etc, had everything explained, then a lovely lunch, and a fresh egg each to take home.  Gave me a lot of confidence.
Non of my girls are quite as well behaved as Buzz when it comes to being checked over, but at least I know where to look and what to look for!
Good luck with it all.

cherry

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 20:04 »
thanks for that flowerpot  ::) 

Following your advice I have decided to keep all girls!  And have enrolled on a course through the omlet site  :D  and I can't wait!

Just one more thing would you advise starting now, you know with the cold weather approaching.  Or would the chickens be okay during the cold if they are POLthat I am thinking of starting with??   :unsure:

xx
Tree Surgeon in Rotherham/ Sheffield Area

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 13:00
by joyfull
xx
Mentor Required

Started by Milly on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 21, 2013, 09:03
by nerdle
xx
battery hens near Sheffield?

Started by slurp on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 20:45
by Teds Girls
xx
vets in sheffield or rotherham

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 19:58
by dollybird

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.