Help! Lice on new chicks and broody? - what can I use safely?

• 4 Replies

Sparkle

Hi

Its been a busy few days here!

Background:One of my elderly hens died at the weekend bless her :( and I checked her over and she had lice. (I checked all of Aunty's advice and photos of creepy crawlies) So I treated all of the others with diatom powder  (at much distress to them my OH and me, at dead of night) and the coop with poultry shield (but there were no mites detected in coop or broody arc).

After my broody hen had a unsuccessful brood (fertilised eggs were from a friend and none hatched out after 25 days) I couldnt resist intervening and now she is the proud (and very protective/aggressive) mum to 3 1-week old pekin bantams. Before getting the chicks I checked my broody hen for lice and treated her and the broody arc with diatom powder.

BUT all my girls still seem to be scratching a bit and I could do with some advice please for both mum and others, bearing in mind that it is a huge mission to catch any of them in daylight.(apart from broody who is just stroppy)- I don't want to freak out any of them but feel I should do more expecially as I am told the chicks could die from lice infection even though they are not blood suckers

PLEASE HELP!

Sue33

Re: Help! Lice on new chicks and broody? - what can I use safely?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 15:11 »

might be worth trying johnson mite spray, I did all my chooks recently, the diatom hadn't worked even after a couple of applications and the coop being liberally dusted with it.  It says on the spray apply weekly until lice have gone, so i'm gonna give them a good check over tomorrow and maybe do them again.

Not sure about the babies though ??

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 19:09 »
Broody hens are prone to getting lice. I treat mine with frontline spray that I get off my vet (not licenced for poultry so you have to sign for it). They all need treating and the coop cleaning thoroughly. Try ringing your vet up to ask how much johnsons or frontline to use on the little ones. oh and well done on helping the 3 to hatch  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Vember

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 19:26 »
I'd be very wary of using sprays round the little ones, they will sit under Mum all night after her treatment and I doubt very much that will do any of them any good ???

Just my thoughts, I would prob squish any found on babies daily until they are a bit bigger, unless they start to look ill ???

Really tough call in my opinion, I don't like breathing in them sprays :(

Sarah :)

Sparkle

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 20:04 »
Thanks for your help and suggestions

I will ring the vets tomorrow and see what they reccommend for the young uns- I would rather not use anything too toxic but I really don't want any of them getting ill with the lice - if necessary I wil pick them off by hand!

And much as I would like to take the credit for helping the chicks hatch - actually all the fertilised eggs were rotten by the end and so after day 25 i cheated and bought some bantam chicks (mum is a warren/sussex) which were a week old and too cute for words and she took them under her wing beautifully and now they are hopping all over and she is teaching them how to scratch in the grass. The only problem is that she is SO aggressive (yes really!!) and panicky when I try and check her and the chicks over - but I guess I will just have to get braver!

Thanks again
Sparkle

xx
lice on broody

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 16:24
by louiseb22
xx
Broody and lice

Started by Daisycow on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 20:59
by woodside farm
xx
lice on chicks

Started by warbz69 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 20:00
by warbz69
xx
How young can I de-lice chicks?

Started by rkclive on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 08:14
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 37 queries.