artificial lighting

• 21 Replies

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
artificial lighting
« on: October 27, 2007, 22:02 »
just another thing I think about when mulling over why all my hens have gone on laying strike, all 18 of them!

Does anyone here use artificial lighting to encourage their birds to lay through the winter months?  I have considered rigging up a light on a timer to get a few eggs per week?

thoughts gratefully received

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
artificial lighting
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 22:09 »
When we just had the 75 ex batts Tom, we didn't bother with artificial lighting, as they've had that all their lives. and now we have 12 POL's they live life as nature intended too.  When you think of the cost of lighting their houses, just for a few eggs, its not worth it IMHO.  

The chicks still have a bit of heat/light at night, but I'm cutting them down gradually, as they are 7 weeks old now

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
artificial lighting
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 22:12 »
not thinking of extending day to battery (24hr) standard (!!) just a few extra hours per day - perhaps whilst I'm there too, so this gives furter reason to my cause.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
artificial lighting
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 22:13 »
im personally happy to also let nature be.

im very anti battery eggs and to me giving them fake light is like forcing them to lay like battery hens.

just my opinion

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
artificial lighting
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 22:31 »
you see, you are both taking this as an exteme - this is not what i'm thinking of.  what i want to know is does anyone here use artifiial lighting for whatever purpose?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
artificial lighting
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 23:01 »
Yes Monty I have.

Elec is so negligible if you use energy saver bulb 11 watts  gives about 60w of light, and scientifically they don't need bright light. There loads of talk about wavelength of light etc but for backyard it's a load of bo.....ks. ( just my opinion :lol: )

Easy to do with a simple timer comes on in the early hours of the morning and let the sun going down in the evening then you don't need to worry about dimmers etc. they need approx 14 hrs of light in total to get the max out of them without going into the realms of battery hens, or increasing the number of hours of light they are getting.eg 15 extra mins for 4 days 30 for the next 4, then 45 etc till you reach about 12 hours. I wouldn't suddenly give them 12/14 hrs it will IMHO send their body clocks way out.

I'm not bothering this time round, as both times I seemed to end up with hens that take ages to moult, but this could be the breed etc not very scientific but trying it out.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

psipower

artificial lighting
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 10:40 »
Another idea Monty - if the house is quite dark, arrange a light to come on at dawn (about half to one hour before 'sunrise'). This way you are still giving the chickens 'natural' day length, and it may be enough.

My chickens (mixed pure and hybrid breeds) are still laying happily, but their house design means they are openly facing dawn, and can enjoy moonlit/starry nights!

Sunrise times are available on the bbc website under the '5 day weather forecast'.

chickychick

• Experienced Member
artificial lighting
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 13:17 »
I havent used artificial lighting and my 4 chickens are still laying an egg each every single day so far touch wood, I wonder if it is just lighting levels or if some other knowledgeable person could advise on here?

I have amberlinks and bovan goldlines btw
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
artificial lighting
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 13:38 »
I think  chickychick that lighting levels play the greatest part in it but if your hens are young and have only just started laying sept - oct this year , then the effect is somewhat lessened.

Again could be the breed some are better than others at winter laying.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
artificial lighting
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 14:17 »
That's right Richy, they often lay through their first winter  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
artificial lighting
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 15:26 »
I wasn't taking anything as an extreme Tom, I was just answering your question from my point of view.  

I didn't think you wanted lights on 24/7, but as mine wasn't the answer you wanted, I'll keep out of this conversation.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
artificial lighting
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 17:48 »
Quote from: "MontyTom"
you see, you are both taking this as an exteme - this is not what i'm thinking of.  what i want to know is does anyone here use artifiial lighting for whatever purpose?

Nope - live as naturally as possible is what I'm trying to do.  (Except for pesticides, fertilisers and herbicide)  :roll:

Foxy

artificial lighting
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 18:24 »
You want Faverolles Monty! Lovely birds that will lay throughout winter - not a vast quantity though but definately enough for your egg sarnies :lol:  :lol: I will have some hatching eggs next year if you're tempted.....

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
artificial lighting
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 22:01 »
ok, today have rigged up 11W energy saver on 12V battery (solar panel to recharge), with a timer extending day by one hour at each end.  will see how it goes.

I am running a good mixture of breeds; dorkings, warrens, leghorns, light sussex, cream lebars, plus other crosses.  last year most birds laid through winter in a much smaller coop (before some were stolen).  now they have a whole allotment and an 8 x 4 shed.  many have gone through molt but not an egg for ages?

foxy; will take you up on that offer next year, thanks.

thanks for replies.  and don't worry, not going to shove them in cages just yet!  :wink:

Foxy

artificial lighting
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 22:22 »
You're set up sounds good, sorry for your stolen birds. A lot of mine are moulting I think it takes a lot of energy to grow feathers back.
You are more than welcome to some eggs next year - not sure how to encourage romance amongst chickens though (see sticky have pics on not so loving couple :wink: )

xx
Artificial Grass

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 17:01
by bantam novice
xx
Lack of eggs and artificial autumn/spring

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 21:21
by Chookiechook
xx
lighting

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 21:19
by Fisherman
xx
Lighting in Winter

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 20:18
by woodside farm

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 38 queries.