Egremont Russet apples

• 2 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Egremont Russet apples
« on: October 23, 2019, 20:38 »
It is one of the apple trees I planted in 1982 when we moved here. The crop this year is by far the best we've had from it in the thirty-odd years since it started fruiting. Huge, flawless, nutty-flavoured apples that keep well and at a guess, well over 70 kg of them. Nobody leaves here without a bag full of them. Can it be the wet late summer that's created this?

Mr Dog

Re: Egremont Russet apples
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 22:02 »
My tree is 2 years old. Last year someone took all but about 5 that had been half eaten by birds much to Mrs Dog's annoyance! This year we've had plenty but they've been minute, a 'big' one being about 2" diameter  :nowink:  (the Cox, and to a lesser extent the Bramleys, have been the same while the Gala and an unknown variety have produced masses of large fruit). Tasty though! Hoping next year will be the year....

Dev

• Experienced Member
Re: Egremont Russet apples
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 07:30 »
Congratulations Alan. I have a pear tree on my plot and have a good crop this year. Other allotmenteers have made apples available so have plenty of fruit - more than we can eat - so I invested in a dehydrator. Turns out one of the best ideas I've had for long term storage - the apples and pears are a bit chewy, but the flavour is concentrated and sweet. Works well with tomatoes too. Only trouble now is we keep a bowl on the kitchen worktop and can't stop chewing them every time we walk past. At least we are not wasting them! When I see the amount of fruit wasted on the allotment when it is left to fall I could weep (I'm a sentimental anti-waster!)

xx
Apples

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 18:21
by sclarke624
smiley
Apples

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2016, 00:16
by Trikidiki
xx
apples

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 09:12
by Anton
xx
First apples

Started by jimroden on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 13:57
by jimroden

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 39 queries.