Which Cabbage?

• 6 Replies

Elaine G

Which Cabbage?
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:04 »
I normally grow a few minicole as there is jist the two of us and we are not big cabbage eaters.
However, on the farmers market I bought a small crinkly (savoy?) cabbage that tasted quite good. No clue what variety so can anyone recommend a small green winter cabbage that tastes good and will withstand our increasingly cold winters?

Thanks

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

mattwragg94

Re: Which Cabbage?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:18 »
just looked at an old thread that MOS started  - search 'small cabbage' -  i think the hispi and minicole where the popular varieties

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 13:48 »
and Samantha is a small savoy, but it wasn't really winter-hardy when I tried it. It was nice as an autumn cabbage though  ;)

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 14:01 »
I grew Barbosa last year which is a savoy type.  I've not had a great deal of success with cabbages in the past, but no problems with this variety.  It's very hardy too, but they can get pretty big.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 14:03 »
I grew Samantha, which is a very compact savoy, just big enough for two or three servings.  It has come through the snow and everything and it's still ok as I cut one yesterday.  I wanted a small savoy too as you get fed up of the great big Ormskirks etc which are ok for feeding the 5000  :D  I would definitely recommend it  :)

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 20:18 »
I grew Samantha, which is a very compact savoy, just big enough for two or three servings.  It has come through the snow and everything and it's still ok as I cut one yesterday.  I wanted a small savoy too as you get fed up of the great big Ormskirks etc which are ok for feeding the 5000  :D  I would definitely recommend it  :)
It was probably not as cold in your area as Mumtys, I noticed you have not put your location .
bazial

Elaine G

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 23:31 »
Thanks for your replies everyone, Samantha looks to fit the bill, so I officially have an excuse to look in the seed catalogues  :lol:

Elaine

xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
white cabbage and red cabbage?

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:04
by muntjac
xx
Red cabbage

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 06:04
by DD.
xx
Red Cap Cabbage

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 10:02
by Lardman

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 35 queries.