Introducing earthworms

• 22 Replies

prakash_mib

Introducing earthworms
« on: March 15, 2010, 09:32 »
I did tried to introduce earth worms from my plot to the newly created raised bed. got 10 worms some stout, some tiny and some long with some earth and put them in the raised bed. But sadly all of 'em died. I felt very sorry for them but how can I introduce them in a friendly manner? can you advice please?
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

upert

• Experienced Member
Re: Introducing earthworms
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:35 »
i found loads in my well rotted manure. try adding some of that and they will come. otherwise there might be nothing for them there yet, hence the dying.

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:35 »
This is a very curious post. You're not joking are you?  :blush:

I would think it would take a lot to actually kill an earthworm by simply moving it from one piece of land to another. Actually, that's what we do every time we dig.

Was the raised bed soil very different to where they came from? The only thing I can think of is if you moved the worms from a lovely loamy soil to 100% clay but I'm sure you didn't do that.

Some other questions - how do you know they all died? You did dig them into their new home quickly and didn't store them in a hot dry container first? And they crawled off, right? So you dug over the whole bed again just to find them?

Hmmm. Yes, I think you're joking. (Checks - no it's not April 1st yet).

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:20 »
Im curious to know exactly how he ascertained they were all dead......

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29 »
Right. I followed this process
1. took an icecream tub to the plot.
2. Dug the tench for the potatoes.
3. picked some worms with little amount of earth and put them in the tub
4. kept the tub in shade all the time.
5. put the tub in my car and drove back
6. watered the raised bed (incase they needed wet patch)
7. tipped the tub onto the bed (didnt dig in. thought they will dig themself into it)
8. 3 of them started crawling for few centimeters and died
9. 4 jumped for about a minute and died
10. a couple didnt bothered and dead.
Witness my wife and dead worms lying on top of bed.
Seriously it is not april fool joke. I presume that the soild should be so acidic to kill them but I dont know!!!

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:34 »
I would have dug a small hole, put the worms in and covered them with a few inches of loose soil..............

bigben

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 11:35 »
Even if you are able to "introduce them" they will not stay in that bit of soil if there is nothing for them to eat. The reason you see so many in your compost heap is they come for the grub and decide to stay and multiply. If you check out your compost heap when it is hot there is not a worm to be found - they dont like the heat so they all shift until it cools. They will do the same in your raised bed if they dont like the conditions. Better to put stuff into the soil they like and they will come from far and wide.

gillie

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:56 »
The worms that you find in compost heaps are brandlings - a different species from earthworms.

It sounds as if the worms were dying before they got to the raised bed.  I would have put some soil in the icecream tub and a few holes in the lid before I introduced the worms. 

I don't think that the acidity of the soil would have anything to do with it.  However these little creatures die very quickly if the conditions are not exactly right for them.

Gillie

prakash_mib

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 12:02 »
Nope! they were not dead in the tub. They were happily crawiling in the mud I added in the tub.and it had airation as well. another thing is I raked in FBB in the bed and probably these little creatures didnt liked it.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 12:23 »
Sounds like it was the concentrated FBB to me! Otherwise if they were wriggling happily when you got them out of the tub I can't see why they wouldn't be happy, unless the groudn was compacted solid and they couldn't dig thereselves in at all.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 15:14 »
The main problem was that the worms suffocated. Ever noticed that when it rains, all the worms come to the surface and sidewalks are covered with them?
They come out because the soil is simply too wet for them and they can't breathe. You've given them a mud bath to live in in the ice cream tub and they began suffocating. Next time just put some dryish soil in the tub, no water, and you'll have better success. It also helps to have a new spot ready with a bit of dead leaves or bit of crushed old fruit and deposit the worms close by. this will encourage them to breed and stay.

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 15:55 »
I do not think water and drowning was the problem as worms will survive in water for a looooong time, even on the hook.
Sounds like there was something in/on the soil that did not agree with them. Have you limed the soil recently?

prakash_mib

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 16:15 »
I also thought it is just the soil content. Either FBB I raked in or it is too much acidic or too much lime'ish. Dont know about soild quality as it was just tipped from a local dealer(i didnt add lime to it). still feel very sorry for those 10 babies. They deserved a better life.

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 16:30 »
I think that worms will move into your raised bed as soon as conditions are right, they get everywhere even in  roof gutters.

If it wasn`t the BFB it could be anything especially if the topsoil has been riddled out of the contents of a builders skip. Possible diesel etc spill?

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 16:33 »
Its possible the soil got plaster dust in it making it very alkaline, if its out a builders skip, depends what else was in the skip !!

xx
Earthworms

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 20, 2011, 11:40
by rainie
xx
Just introducing myself!

Started by Greeny on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2006, 09:53
by John
xx
introducing myself

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 17, 2007, 07:23
by beansticks
xx
Just introducing myself

Started by Salkeela on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 22:36
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.