Rotovating Q's please.

• 3 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Rotovating Q's please.
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:09 »
Got our allotment (5m x 35m) last year but only worked on half.  The other half has been sprayed with weedkiller 12 mthsd ago and covered with black plastic ever since.   Was thinking of rotovating it as a quick start but was wondering:

How dry does it have to be?  It is on a hill so does get wet from water draining down the hill but it has been covered in black plastic so shouldn't be to soggy.....?

As it has been dry for a week and warmer I was assuming soil won't be frozen so if I managed to do it this weekend then we wouldn't be damaging the soil...!?

What do I need to ask for at the hire places?  I have seen a power digger (up to 8" depth, cultivators, rotovators - what do I need? Any specific power rating or depth? The soil hasn't been worked on as far as I know, just had couch but hasn't got any major rubble or brambles or anything..?

Thanks in advance from a girly girl trying to organise the man in my life!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Rotovating Q's please.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:29 »
try and get the deepest blades you can, do it slowly so it rips the roots up rather than cut them. It will be better after a good dry spell so I would leave it a little longer. As you are hiring I would suggest that you spend a lot of time after forking and raking to clear as much of the roots etc as you can, once you have cleared it, do it again you will be amazed by how much you will have missed.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 18:05 »
If you haven't lifted the black plastic yet, I'd do so and look at how soggy the soil is.  If water runs down the slope, a surface covering won't prevent it moving through the soil below.  Also, the plastic stops evaporation of gathered water.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 13:39 »
Thanks both, off to have a looksee tonight after work.  We can poss hire a rotavator for next weekend.  Should I leave the cover off this week if the forecast seems dry?

xx
Rotovating

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 17:31
by allotment south wales
xx
Rotovating

Started by Digger Parsnip on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 17, 2006, 09:05
by John
xx
Rotovating question

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 21, 2006, 20:59
by Ice
xx
Rotovating Advice & Help

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 22:17
by GardenShed

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 38 queries.