Early potatoes

• 9 Replies

banf77

Early potatoes
« on: February 17, 2009, 21:49 »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with the following. I had a couple of bags of early seed potatoes from my wife for Valentines Day! They are from B&Q, Arran Pilot potatoes.
My questions are:-
With crop rotation, could I plant my maincrop in the same plot as the earlies, once the earlies have been harvested?
Also, as my wife has bought me too many, could I store a bag of these seed potatoes until it's time to plant them as a main crop?

Cheers
Steve

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Early potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 21:54 »
No, sorry.  You plant them all at similar times and your lates just grow more slowly than your earlies.

Put them in a cool place with light and let them chit for a few weeks before planting.
Cheese makes everything better.

banf77

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:10 »
Thanks Ice.

Although the potatoes I have are labeled as earlies, are they actually any different to what you'd plant as main crop. In other words, can I plant them all at the same time, but treat half as earlies, the other half main crop, or is there a physically different component that makes some potatoes the main crop?
Cheers
Steve

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 18:35 »
Earlies generally don't store as well as maincrop, but there's nothing to stop you leaving them in the ground until you're ready.  Depending on variety, they may get attacked by sluds and lose their 'salad' type of qualities, but if they all mature at once then you're going to have to prioritise somehow  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 19:30 »
The main difference between earlies and mains is how long it takes the plant to mature to the point the tubers are big enough to be worth digging up.  If you put both in in April, your earlies will be ready to dig in the summer holidays, but the maincrops at the same time will probably only have marble-sized tubers (but lots of them!).  Basically earlies make relatively few tubers on a smaller plant, but quicker, and maincrops make lots of tubers on a bigger plant, but taking longer to get going.  Second earlies are somewhere in the middle.  There are some early-ish varieties that keep growing well if you leave them in the ground, so you can take your pick of harvesting smaller new potatoes or a heavier crop later on.

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 20:14 »
I'm not sure of the advisability of following potatoes with more potatoes, but would it be possible to grow two lots of earlies in succession? (Perhaps with a second lot of well rotted manure for the second lot.)
I remember a lot of people talking about getting new potatoes to crop for Christmas last year.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 20:35 »
Don't wish to hijack the thread but a related question. I've seen supermarkets sell minature (marble) and baby (golf ball) size Maris Piper new potatoes - which I thought was a mian crop.  :unsure:  Now I know it is a "waste" of main crop but as I have got some to grow does anyone know how long after planting they reach this size ? We are growing Charlottes but we do enjoy our new potaotes.  :)
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

shaun

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 20:45 »
Don't wish to hijack the thread but a related question. I've seen supermarkets sell minature (marble) and baby (golf ball) size Maris Piper new potatoes - which I thought was a mian crop.  :unsure:  Now I know it is a "waste" of main crop but as I have got some to grow does anyone know how long after planting they reach this size ? We are growing Charlottes but we do enjoy our new potaotes.  :)

as soon as the flowers open start picking
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Stripey_cat

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:04 »
I'm not sure of the advisability of following potatoes with more potatoes, but would it be possible to grow two lots of earlies in succession? (Perhaps with a second lot of well rotted manure for the second lot.)
I remember a lot of people talking about getting new potatoes to crop for Christmas last year.

Potatoes are not hardy, so unless you're in Cornwall, I think the second crop would get frosted before they were ready to harvest.  I've heard of people doing Christmas new potatoes in tubs in the greenhouse, or in a polytunnel, though.  I think you'd still want to use a fresh bed (maybe following early peas or spring greens that you can clear early summer).

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 11:56 »
Just while you're on the subject of Christmas potatoes, I had mine growing in tubs in the greenhouse doing really well until sometime in November a bad frost ruined the lot, just wondered did anyone manage to grow some for Christmas?

xx
when to dig my early potatoes

Started by queenb on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 13:24
by grosmont50
xx
Early Potatoes

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2006, 11:36
by Sadgit
xx
Early potatoes

Started by jane1264 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 14:44
by Annie
xx
2nd Early Potatoes

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 11:30
by DD.

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 36 queries.