Keen but clueless!

• 13 Replies

Carly Flower

Keen but clueless!
« on: December 27, 2008, 21:23 »
Hello.  I am starting to grow my own veg for the first time but only have raised areas in which to plant (brick pillars with long wooden boxes on top appx 18 in deep)
Some areas have direct sunlight some are shaded and will only get sunlight late afternoon. Would appreciate any tips regarding what soil to use, what needs lots of light etc..
I will need to buy the soil to fill the boxes too so any advice there would be great (although have an unlimited supply of well rotted horse manure)
Look forward to reading your replies.
Thank You  :)

Poolfield2

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 21:27 »
Hey welcome Carly Flower - brilliant name :lol: I'm sure one of the good gardeners will be along shortly and give more usful advice than I can give. Have you made a list of the things you like to eat?

I find that I save the most money on things like posh salad leaves and herbs and you know that there are no chemicals on them :)

Carly Flower

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 21:35 »
Hi Poolfield2
Yes I have made a list of what I want to grow and even conned my Hubby into getting me a greenhouse in the sales! I just cant find in any books explaining what conditions various veg like (sunlight wise) and quite a large area I will be using is under the overhang of a large shed so is really shaded.
Thank you so much for your reply, I have never used a forum before :oops:

Poolfield2

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 22:17 »
This was my first use of a forum as well, everyone on here is really friendly and most are barking (don't tell them I said so :lol:  :lol: ) and I find people are helpful and knowledgeable. John Harrison that started this site I think has written a brilliant book about growing veg and it's really good value. I bought one for me and then got another for a friend cos I was so impressed. I'll see if I can see where the link is to order one, you can do paypal.

Poolfield2

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 22:22 »
OK, if you go to the home page, then to forums then to books, you will see John's book listed.

We all like photos on this site so if you can you can photo the space you are going to grow in and then people will give more accurate advice. I'm not very techy so I always need help to do this but someone will always help cos they are kind like that here. :lol:

pushrod

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 23:25 »
most fruit and veg like good light - problem for you sounds as if it might be water in the long hot summer  :roll:  smaller plants might be the order of the day if you only have 18" of depth to play with.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
Keen but clueless!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 23:40 »
These articles may be of help Container Growing
Val
Recipes Galore!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Keen but clueless!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 00:01 »
Hi Carly for the soil depends on how much you want to spend or can afford, multi purp compost would be a good starter for containers add some perlite this will help keep the compost light and open, also consider adding water retaining crystals,and of course some of that horse manure.

You should be able to grow a reasonable amount of different crops in those containers. Try googling "square foot gardening" for some innovative ideas.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Carly Flower

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 13:40 »
Thanks everyone for your advice.  Pushrod you said that smaller plants would do better, does that mean I cannot grow parsnips and carrots etc.. I also wanted to grow brussels but I have read they need really firm soil I took that as meaning compacted, is that right? I appear to be hosting the national slug and snail convention in my garden too. I have just taken some pics of the garden which I will upload when I have found the manual on how to do it!
The pillars with boxes on top that run around the edge of the garden are pretty unconventional but Im hoping will be ok for growing.
Again thankyou for your advice x :D

Yabba

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 13:58 »
Image manual ;)

¥

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Keen but clueless!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 14:19 »
You'd probably struggle a little with parsnips in that sort of depth, but you can get carrot varieties which are really short / stumpy, or even round.

Sprouts are pretty tall, and need a firm ground so I think you will find they are a bit risky in a container which is high off the ground and thus prone to more wind exposure and rocking (that's the climatic type, not the post-eating type  :oops: )  If any containers are on the ground I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try.

Salad leaves don't particularly like full sun at the height of the growing season so they may do well in the darker shade.

Apart from any obvious dangers such as wind exposure / tipping over, I'd probably try anything once - just make sure you water and feed really well as the compost will not provide much help for the plants after a few weeks.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 15:33 »
you can grow stumpy parnsips too - there are several varieties. Carrots are easily grown in compost as are salad leaves and radishes.  Flat leaf parsley is a lovely tasting herb and that will tolerate some shade, goes well in a salad too.  Loads of things can be grown in pots and old drawers  :D

Clampit

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 16:00 »
I had things growing in my old draws, fortunately I received a smashing new pair of Y-fronts for Christmas.

SG6

Keen but clueless!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 19:02 »
"Smallish" veg: Carrot, onion, garlic, turnips, radish, beetroot.
Worth a try: Tomatoes, Peppers, Cauilflower, Cabbage, Lettuce, Celeriac

Peppers and tomatoes would need support but people grow them in grow bags that are just a few inches deep.

Cauliflower, cabbage and lettuce pick a small variety.

Must be others, just no idea what at this time.

xx
New but keen to get started

Started by joolez on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 16:49
by J_B
xx
Keen but cluless!

Started by Helenr on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 19, 2007, 05:27
by Gwiz
xx
Guidance for keen novice

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 19:20
by WhippetMaster
xx
Keen Allotment Grower wanted

Started by cmlyte on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2006, 09:30
by John

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 37 queries.