Newbie - help

• 2 Replies

Harrys Dad

Newbie - help
« on: June 02, 2008, 22:30 »
Hello - I'm fairly new to growing my own and I fear i may be a little late this year to get the new allotment underway. I have a few quesitons I'd really appreciate some help with!

My soil is very heavy, I am going to put in a few raised beds to give carrots and parsnips a go - is there anything I can add to the heavy soil to improve it - I do have some some top soil to add to the beds.

What to grow. Last year I managed to get Swede in and they were OK. I was a littl elate with sprotes and the Savoy just got eaten alive. I was going to plant Swede, Parsnip, Carrots and Leaks and Sprots. although I only have seedlings for Leaks - Am I too late :? .....

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Newbie - help
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:54 »
Not too late for brassicas, if you can lay you hands on some plants. I sowed some carrots in late June last year & they were a reasonable crop,  so get some of them in.

Parsnips may not be too late, they may not make such large ones though, but it's better than nothing.

Nothing ventured & all that!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lee1978

Newbie - help
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:08 »
Dig in plenty of well rotted manure, carrots and parsnips don't like manured ground so stick with your raised beds (i grow mine in barrels filled with riddled soil, sand and compost). Hope this is of some help :wink:

xx
Newbie needs help!

Started by kea24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 18:12
by Yorkie
xx
newbie here,hi!

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 19:22
by John
xx
newbie here

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:29
by rictic
xx

Started by oldh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 20:55
by operabunny

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 38 queries.