Cold Frames

• 5 Replies

ziggywigs

Cold Frames
« on: January 06, 2007, 14:36 »
I received two cold frames just before Christmas.  According to the boxes they have 12sq ft of growing space each.

My question oh knowlegeable ones is - once i've put them together....how do i actually use them?  

I know i put things in them but what do i do with the lids etc not quite sure.  I'm planning on growing seedlings and plug plants in spring but how do i actually do that with a cold frame.  :?  Also what do i do later in the year with 'em?

First time growing under glass and this is the preamble to a bigger greenhouse later in year hopefully!

muntjac

Cold Frames
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 14:40 »
line the bottom with bin liners to stop weds .and then you can sow seeds  in trays later on in spring put them inside and close the glass lid down it creates a warmer temperature for growing things .later when the weather improves before you are ready to plant them out on your plot you can leave the window open during the day for a wek and then take it off or keep it up until you want to set them out .. hope that helps .. you can line he sides with polystyren if you want to keep them even warmer  :wink:
later in te eyaqr if you want to you can sow lettuce in pots sparingly and have lettuce later in the year
still alive /............

shaun

Cold Frames
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 15:39 »
ive had a cold frame in my back garden for years and have grown nearly everything you can imagine in there,
i used to sow my runner beans,cucumbers,cabbage,broccili,leeks plus many more,i used to treat like a cold greenhouse realy,its ontop of paving slabs so thats quite cold so i got a sheet of polystyrene to fit in the bottom so the seed trays dont get to cold,and do like karl says and open it up on on hot days.
i only used it from late feb until the end of may.if realy bad frosts are forecast and you have stuff in there then you can throw an old quilt or sleeping bag over it.
but now i have a greenhouse its surplus to requirements so this year its off to the plot with it and i'm going to have a go at melons in it down there.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Cold Frames
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 18:46 »
I got 2 when we moved into this house and 1 it on top of the soil in a sunny corner of the garden. Well I didn't like it as I thought it was a waste of space, so I took it to bits.... then I read that people grow courgettes in them, so I put it back together and planted 2 of my courgette plants inside it.. blooming great they were, far better than the others in the veg plot..

ziggywigs

Cold Frames
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 22:38 »
thanks guys....soo i'd be able to grow melons in them after my seedlings have been hardened off.  

Next question is how many melon plants would i get in 12 sqft....could i grow cucumbers in the other one?

Ooooh i'm all excited now....new possibilities. :lol:

muntjac

Cold Frames
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 22:43 »
4 melons and yes you can you need to keep a close eye on pests tho  make a lattice of canes for the plants to hold onto ,you can uncover them on sunny days  :D

xx
cold frames

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 15:35
by Trillium
xx
Cold Frames

Started by GillyHen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 18:06
by GillyHen
xx
Cold Frames

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 13:46
by Babstreefern
xx
Cold frames and Greenhouses

Started by Shamps on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 13:31
by Kristen

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 36 queries.