what to plant where???

• 2 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
what to plant where???
« on: May 04, 2016, 15:28 »
Afternoon all

Now the proud owner of six new raised beds (3 long beds divided into two; so each individual bed is 6'x4'), I now need to decide what to plant in which box.

I've planted one bed with early spuds and would also like to grow runner beans; sweetcorn (which obvs need to be at the rear of the plot so as not to shade the other crops presumably??); salad leaves/radish/beetroot/spring onions; herbs; couple of rhubarb plants; courgettes and I've been given two goosegogs. I've also just ordered some asparagus crowns for a permanent planting of those in one of the 6x4s. The beds are all in the north/south orientation. Any advice of what to put where would be welcome...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: what to plant where???
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 19:48 »
The runner beans are more likely to cast shade than the sweetcorn. If you are growing 2 courgette plants, they will probably fill one bed on their own. TBH, I think you might be overambitious in what you can fit into the space available, given that essentially half of the beds are going to be filled with permanent planting.

So, the beds are going to be something like (in no particular order):

1. Spuds
2. Courgettes - unless you did only 1 plant, in which case you might fit it alongside a single rhubarb plant?
3. Beans - if you did a wigwam you could also fit in the salad leaves / radish / beetroot / spring onions to the rest of the bed
4. Sweetcorn
5. Rhubarb - if only 1 plant, then you'll have room for something else in the other half of the bed but probably not for more than 1 goosegog.  Perhaps the herbs?
6. Asparagus - this will need a bed to itself
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rookie1

• Experienced Member
Re: what to plant where???
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 21:00 »
Thanks Yorkie - you've confirmed my fears as I had a feeling I might be trying to fit too much in. Trouble was that the spuds were already chitting when we decided to build the raised beds! May have to sacrifice those next year. Also forgot to mention the peas!!! May have to have a re-think and perhaps try and find somewhere else in the garden for the rhubarb and goose gigs. Thanks for your advice.

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
What can I plant now?

Started by gardenangel on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 19:35
by Aidy
clip
Odd plant

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2020, 10:57
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 28 queries.