DM engine playing silly *

• 2 Replies

Browser

• Experienced Member
DM engine playing silly *
« on: April 09, 2009, 17:33 »
Hi, the B&S engine on my DM cut out when last used and then refuse dto start, A wait of a few minutes had it starting on choke and then stopping after a few seconds. Repeat the wait, repeat the start/stop mode. It's one of the ones with the fuel dip pipe extending down into the fuel tank, so I assume the carb suck the fuel up somehow? I'll have to check the strainer on the end of the dip pipe but am wondering what else to look at?
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

Gwiz

Re: DM engine playing silly *
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 18:14 »
Try loosening the fuel cap, don't run it with it removed, just loosen it and let the engine run for a bit. Sometimes they don't breath correctly if sat around for a while. That's the most simple thing to try first.
The next step is to remove the carb/ tank assembly and take the tank off. On the side of the assembly is a rectangular plate held on by four screws. Behind that is a diaphragm that becomes quite "baggy" after a time. While the plate is off, you will see two holes. One of these goes straight down the fuel pick up pipe. A good blow down that with an air line, will remove any "stuff" that is on the pick up filter on the end of the pipe.
A new diaphragm should cost you no more than £1. I would ALWAYS replace the gasket between the carb and the tank with a new one. For safety's sake you don't want spilt fuel getting onto that nice hot exhaust, do you? ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 18:16 by Gwiz »

Browser

• Experienced Member
Re: DM engine playing silly *
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 20:03 »
Thanks Gwiz, I had read elsewhere that that diaphragm had summat to do with fuel pickup so I'll get a new one anyway. Already done the carb-to-tank gasket but that'll be renewed as well.

xx
non starting merry tiller 1978 white engine curvy handle engine model 130282

Started by T Howell on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 11:24
by T Howell
xx
Engine ID?

Started by Bobg on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post December 14, 2011, 12:52
by Bobg
xx
Engine Oil - Not Old - Uses ??

Started by Uzzy on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2015, 13:38
by Bohobumble
xx
SAE 30 engine oil

Started by ihusker on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 21:00
by xs1.1

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.