Lots of flowers but no beans.

• 5 Replies

Judypumpkin

Lots of flowers but no beans.
« on: July 17, 2020, 11:13 »
I have had lots of lovely red flowers on my runner beans for weeks now, and there are plenty of bees and other insects to pollinate them, but so far no beans at all except for the odd really tiny one that doesn't develop. Is there a problem or do I just have to wait?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Lots of flowers but no beans.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 14:34 »
It's not unusual for the first bean flowers not to set - it's almost as if the bees take a while to learn how to enter them, and thereby 'trip' and pollinate them (there are in fact some species whose tongues are too short to reach the nectar, so they chew through the back of the flower instead, which doesn't therefore get pollinated.)

Some say that misting with water helps flower set, but I've also heard that doing that actually deters bees, which still need to visit the flowers to set them.
It's probably more important to keep the plants themselves well watered.

Not much help to you this year, but there are some varieties whose flowers set without the help of insects - 'Firestorm' is an example.

Hope your luck improves soon.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Judypumpkin

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 16:51 »
Thanks for your reply. After I posted this message I found 2 really big beans that were hiding in the foliage inside the wigwam and probably should have been picked a few days ago, so hopefully I just have to be patient and I'll soon get lots more.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 01:11 »
Look around at other peoples' beans and see if they are setting to get an idea of whether you are the only one with the problem.   Nobody's beans were setting at my allotment until the recent wetter weather and now everybody's are setting on.   When beans don't set it is almost always because of insufficient moisture at the roots usually weather-related but the good news is that once the beans start to set, they usually continue to set throughout the season.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 18:40 »
At least you have flowers.   I only have flowers on my Gigantes Greek runner beans and a couple on my Cosse Violette plants.   I have several other varieties of French beans and Lady Di runners, many of whom are covering the poles, but no flowers in sight.

al78

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 10:14 »
Mine are in a similar state at the moment. The purple climbing beans escaped the blackfly infestation which nearly killed the neighbouring runners, and have many flowers but no pods. I have sown Phacelia at the end of the bean bed to entice pollinators. My gem squash did the same thing in June, although being in the greenhouse the pollinators probably took their time finding them.

xx
Broad beans: lots of flowers no bean pods.

Started by tassie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 17:34
by Goosegirl
xx
Lots of flowers but no tomatoes.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2018, 20:58
by Growster...
xx
Blueberries - lots of leaf no flowers

Started by jogan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2017, 13:33
by JayG
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 42 queries.