Open fire or wood burner

• 43 Replies

jamima

Re: Open fire or wood burner
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 13:59 »
we put a logburner in three yrs ago and never
 regreted it , it not only looks fantastic but is so efficient ,it's a large one 10 kw and keeps our bungalow so warm through out, it's 20 degrees in the lounge as i speak , don't us the heating much at all, would'nt go back to an open fire .

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 15:36 »
How do you sweep the chimney?
smud6ie

Most likely from the roof and down.

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 15:58 »
We love our open fire, and burn coal, wood, stuff like old crates etc, in fact anything which is going to either rot or get chucked out anyway.

We also buy offcuts from a shed maker for a few pounds a cubic metre, and I bring home any stray branches and cut them up. At the moment, there's a load of old rhododendron branches, which burn like crazy.

Next week, we'll have a couple of loads of cherry and oak, so, as Argyllie says, wood (especially when it's going to be dumped), is one of the greenest fuels around!

We say that if there's a good reason to heat our own home, instead of trying to meet 'green' targets, we'll also burn cardboard etc, because that's our prerogative, not some faraway politicians'!

I also think wood burners are marvellous, and the only reason why we don't have one is that we also have night storage heaters, which are very cheap to run if you do it properly.

Phew  ;0)

helens-hens

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 17:32 »
It is good that you will be having your woodburner in front of the wall rather than in the recess. Ours is in the recess and we are losing a lot of heat to walls of the recess.

I have always wanted an open fire but was pleased to be able to get the woodburner (we have a Stovax too, a Stockton 5 woodburner). As others have said, you can still open the door and have practically the same effect.

I am sure it will all work out well for you!
Helen

Goldfinger

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 17:40 »
How do you sweep the chimney?
smud6ie

Most likely from the roof and down.

Mind readers!  ;)

Yes, that's how we do it.

The fire is on a 'male / female' sleeve type thing my dad made before he retired, so all we got to do is slide the fire forward and off, 'heavily' tape off the fitting and sweep using the brush on a ball and chain.

This... http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=164024196

Together with this...http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=162544132

Then suck out the soot with the 'ash can'.

Then all we do is renew the fire cement around the join when the fire goes back.

jamima

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 17:51 »
Ours is not in a recess and it is true you get much more heat , my OH brings all manner of wood whenever he can get it, and also friends give us wood too, we never burn coal although its a multi fuel, you have to think well ahead so u don't run out of wood .

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 19:36 »
we to love our woodburner  We dont have it in the recess so makes it so efficiant Often if we dont want to run the rayburn or have run out of room we cook on the top great for just heating up or making soups and stews . Just make sure of the fuel supply as more people are getting them fitted so increasingly free wood is in short supply and you need a lot more than you think
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

jamima

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 17:39 »
Yes we cook soups and things on ours too, neighbour had his trees down today so thats the wood for 2013 sorted  :)

mrs mud

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 21:55 »
Quick update  :)

Our new stove has been installed, a stovax 7 multifuel.   We are already amazed how it warms the whole room (compared to the open fire) and I must admit I do quite like it's appearance  :blush:  The wall behind it still needs finishing off, and it can be pulled forward for maintenence and sweeping.  We use a lot less fuel and have it on all day at the moment.

Thanks for all replies, it helped a lot, I was very reluctant to lose the open fire but realised after reading the posts that it was not the way ahead in the long run

:) :) :)
"Potters always play dirty!"

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 22:54 »
Well I'm always pleased we have the woodburner.  This winter I've been on a 'if you're not going to light it, neither am I' kick.  But for some reason today I decided to brave the cold and go and get some wood.

I'm pleased I did, as himindoors hasn't been checking the oil level and we've run out!  On what they reckon is going to be the coldest night of the year!   >:(

I wouldn't mind, but because we've not had the woodburner alight, we've used in 3 months what normally last us 5! 

jamima

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 12:14 »
Well am sure you won't be dissapointed, enjoy  :)

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 05:33 »
Such a lovely thread. Only one important detail missing. The reason, why do you feel cold in the room with fireplace or wood burner is the room slightly UNDER pressure and cold air coming in the room/house. To solve it, you have to install in the ceiling small fan, which will blow air from attic. If you can setup heat exchanger on the chimney, that will be a bonus

compostqueen

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 09:20 »
You can also get a little fan that sits on the stove itself

I find my room gets toasty with the log burner going so we have to open the door and the heat dissipates to the downstairs rooms

My recess was not very deep but I looked at Stovesonline and found a slim stove which is wide but not deep and it fit perfectly.  Mine log  burner is a smokeless model and it will burn smokeless fuel but I really only wanted it for logs, which I love burning. We had a mini forest to clear when we bought our house so it made sense to use the felled timber

The daily lighting of the log burner is the signal to sit down and get comfy  :) 

Goldfinger

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 17:59 »

...And if we're going to get this forecasted snow, we'll be relighting ours this week.

I thought we were done for the year with ours.

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 17:42 »
We invested in a large wood burner with a big curved glass front. we call it our baked bean tin. It was the best thing we ever did. Heat is fantastic The fire is beautiful - Better than an open fire - safer and easier to keep clean. We really wish we had got multi fuel tho and the kind that heats the rest of the house and water too. You can even get one that has a oven compartment too! But they did cost a lot more. It has cut our winter heating bill enormously.
I'm busy making eco logs ready for next winter now!

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.