firework cd's are they any good??

• 9 Replies

starry

firework cd's are they any good??
« on: July 27, 2011, 21:02 »
somebody let off some fireworks close by earlier (either that or someone was shot several times) or it may have been a car back firing! anyway my 2 x 19month old westies heard and both ran to hide.
 last year when they were just a year old they didn't flinch on fire work night, so this has now got me a bit concerned for the approaching autumn  :blink: so thought maybe try a CD has anyone ever tried these ?
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
Re: firework cd's are they any good??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 21:14 »
My sister used one of these as her rescue dog was scared of every sudden noise, even things like the toaster popping up made her run off like a lunatic....usually straight into the patio doors  :(

She used it on a low volume at first and sat on the floor and stroked the dog at the same time, then left it on and just got on with her housework but chatted to the dog and then put the volume slightly higher and just carried on as normal and it really did help.

It used to be that fireworks only went off on a few days in a year so you could be prepared with having the telly louder, curtains closed or the plug-in relax things or even tablets but they go off all the time around here.

Luckily my two rescue jack russells are not bothered by them at all but our last dog was terrified and would try to get herself under the furniture in such a panic.

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:20 »
Never had to bother as my Border Collie doesn't mind fireworks - she's mad in every other respect but yet doesn't turn a hair at fireworks - she watches them through the window on Bonfire Night. :lol:

On the local News report last year - they advised turning the TV up and shutting the curtains, maybe playing music - and not acknowledging the fireworks at all. :)
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 12:24 »
We do all that but it doesn't help. She is also a rescue from a volatile household. We tried the CD but it stressed her out so much even on really quiet it worried us. We now give both of them valerian drops at the first sign of any fireworks or other bangs....though guns don't bother her. It isn't a cure or a tranquiliser, just helps them cope better without getting too hyper.

I have heard of people having good results with the CD so it might be worth a go.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 15:15 »
I work at a vets and have owned a few dogs that have been scared.  The best thing thats happened for my sound phobic collie was the acquisition of my greyhound cross - fireworks don't affect her at all - so he cuddles up with her and is now FINE!  The only other thing I think REALLY works is 1. wear the dog out during the day 2. draw all the curtains and put tv/stereo on loud 3. ignore the dog completely.

Good luck!

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 20:34 »
My old dog wasn`t bothered about fireworks until he started to go deaf when he was about 11.Sounds must have changed for him and he just went crazy on the 5th nov week,digging in the settee to try and escape.I tried that pheremone(not sure how you spell it) spray.Worked really well,calmed him right down.Unfortunately,I had a bad reaction to the stuff as I was sat in the room with him all evening,and was quite ill,so ,I never used it again!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:19 »
you could also try a DAP defuser. its like a plug in and the scent calms them down but isn't noticed by us humans.

my two are fine with fireworks but my uncle's dog (rescued from the back of a van) is terrified and its worked for him.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

daybreak

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 12:39 »
Classic Fm mentioned today that Battersy Dogs Home play this station for the dogs during the run up to November the 5th (and on the night of course), apparantly it really makes a difference and the dogs remain calm throughout. I always leave Classical music on for my dog when I go out and leave him behind so it may be worth a try.

Classical music works great on kids as well especially on wind down to bedtime!!

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 13:33 »
I replied to this thread in August and said that my BC didn't mind the fireworks - this year she has behaved completely differently - she was quite scared and clingy - luckily they finished about 8pm. :)

starry

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 17:50 »
I did buy a cd only a few weeks ago and followed the instructions and my little darlings didn't seemed to be at all bothered by the bangs etc, but I think they could tell the difference between "recorded" and real as all though they were not distressed or anything come bonfire night(s) they were shaking a little, oh well I will still keep playing the cd and perhaps by next year they will be completely nansulate about the whole thing    :happy:

xx
Good morning kitties!

Started by janet12000 on Pets without Feathers

20 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 20:42
by janet12000
xx
Good article for all beekeepers

Started by Trillium on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 15:38
by Trillium
xx
Hopefully 2 good news stories

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 18:27
by Oliveview
xx
Good news on dog microchipping

Started by arugula on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 14:09
by arugula

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 38 queries.