glysophate/roundup

• 9 Replies

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
glysophate/roundup
« on: November 13, 2010, 07:08 »
Hi all
my nan has just moved nearer to me and her new back garden is a overgrown jungle of weeds, the last person to live there was disabled so couldnt keep the garden under control. nan has decided she wants a veg garden and a greenhouse so she can potter around in the summer. my question is, is there a cheaper place than diy stores to buy roundup/glysophate or is that my best bet, and also can it be done now or do i have to wait till spring to spray it.
thanks people x
lisa
LISA X X X

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: glysophate/roundup
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:22 »
You will need a dry still day to spray off the weeds with 6 hours of dry weather,  Roundup is a branded name go for glysophate of the stores own brand much cheaper in un mixed form than mixed already.
Thanks
Kris

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:30 »
You will need a dry still day to spray off the weeds with 6 hours of dry weather,  Roundup is a branded name go for glysophate of the stores own brand much cheaper in un mixed form than mixed already.

hi Kris, do i get the stores on brand at the major diy stores ?

fatbelly

Re: glyphosate/roundup
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:41 »
Quote from: needs some help link=topic=67763.msg 775643#msg 775643 date=1289633431
Quote from: Rangerkris link=topic=67763.msg 775642#msg 775642 date=1289632970
You will need a dry still day to spray off the weeds with 6 hours of dry weather,  Roundup is a branded name go for glyphosate of the stores own brand much cheaper in unmixed form than mixed already.

hi Kris, do i get the stores on brand at the major diy stores ?
Yes it will be fine to get stores own brand or a branded name that is less well known that Round Up.
Glyphosate  works best when the weed is actively growing so f you spray now you won't achieve best results. Wait until March or April next year and then spray. A lot of the weeds will have already gone into winter dormancy below ground and if you spray now they won't be touched and will re grow next year.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 09:04 »
Most plants still have some green leaves, as with garlic etc are still growing. From my experience I would be inclined to spray now if you find a still and fine day. If you do not get it done before heavy frost or snow browns everything off I would wait for regrowth in the Spring.

Once you can see the effects of the weedkiller showing, yellowing of leaves, you can cut off all the vegitation and cultivate. That should put you well ahead in the Spring.

There may be a few weeds mised but you can either dig these out or apply weedkiller where needed.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 09:08 »
Hi all
my nan has just moved nearer to me and her new back garden is a overgrown jungle of weeds, the last person to live there was disabled so couldnt keep the garden under control. nan has decided she wants a veg garden and a greenhouse so she can potter around in the summer. my question is, is there a cheaper place than diy stores to buy roundup/glysophate or is that my best bet, and also can it be done now or do i have to wait till spring to spray it.
thanks people x
lisa

You could try EBay as I find that you can normally get things much cheaper even taking into account the postage costs.

gillie

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 09:29 »
Check the recommended dilutions.  Often the cheaper bottles need to be used much stronger than the more expensive ones.

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 10:25 »
Don't buy ready diluted in a spray bottle, buy it neat, then dilute into an old spray bottle.(any of your empty window cleaner/ kitchen sprays bottles will do.) Make sure you mark the bottle WEEDKILLER so there's no chance of accidents.If you have bindweed, put a cane next to it and train it up the cane. Mix the Glyphosphate and place in a jar. Put the jar next to the cane and slide the bindweed off the cane into the  jar. Put a piece of wood over the top of the jar to keep rain out and leave. No more bindweed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 10:34 »
I'll have to try unwinding the bindweed from my climbing rose and do that with it!
Thanks fatcat  :)

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 11:32 »
you could cut it off and train it up a cane as it regrows or just cut it lower and stick it in that should work
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

xx
Glysophate - area of effect?

Started by Tohmahtae on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 00:08
by johnfh
xx
Roundup -what next

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:23
by johnfh
xx
Using Roundup

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 22:16
by shaun
xx
where to buy roundup?

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 22:44
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 37 queries.