What effect is the hot weather having on your...

• 18 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
What effect is the hot weather having on your...
« on: July 06, 2018, 08:17 »
...runner beans in my case - a lot more flowers low down than usual, some of which are setting, but they seem reluctant to climb above around 4-5' at the moment (they're usually near the top of the Munty frame, 10' or thereabouts, by now.)

The crop is bound to be affected if they decide they don't want to get any nearer to the sun!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

Re: What effect is the hot weather having on your...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 10:55 »
I'm finding the same with my sugar snap peas outside and also a climbing French bean in my greenhouse. I'm wondering if it's the continual bright sun that's stopping them searching upwards like they would if we had duller days.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:38 »
My runners and climbing French beans are doing OK.  I put it down to watering and more watering and more watering.   I have also mulched around the base of the plants with home made compost to keep the moisture in.
I did post another thread about my peas and broad beans being shorter than usual and MoS said her peas were the same but plenty of water had got them up to normal height.  So I tried watering more than I had been doing and some of the peas improved.  I decided then to pay more attention to the runners and CFB's too just in case and it seems to have worked.

Will take a pic when I go up later.

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 10:11 »
Difficult to tell with my beans as they were late in. Definitely struggling to get a grip around canes. Sweetcorn are doing fabulously obviously, as are the outdoor tomatoes and squash. But the caulis and broccoli are suffering it would appear, may bolt. Potatoes are a smaller crop despite frequent watering.
This is quite extreme weather for us, an inch in 2 months that did nothing to help, and likely to continue, so I have accepted the odd crop or two will suffer.. Not much to be done about it without mega hours of work. This is where bean trenches and mulch can make a small difference, but even then .....

Christine

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 10:21 »
Lots of flowers on broad beans but not setting very high.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:31 »
First time ever - blossom end rot on my Marzano tomatoes.  All the other varieties are fine, but two out of three of the Marzano are showing signs of this today.  If I can adjust the watering will the next fruits to set be OK, or is there something else I need to do as well?  Any suggestions folks?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 10:45 »
Blossom end rot isn't a disease, so trying to keep the soil/compost moisture levels as consistent as possible should help reduce the number of affected fruits. If the humidity is too high it affects the uptake of water by the plants, and the fruits are at the end of the water supply chain...  :wacko:
In practice, in a GH/PT, ventilation and not overdoing any damping down can help.

Some of my runner beans are at around the 6-7' mark - what the beans currently setting will be like remains to be seen (in the past they have tended to become stringy in hot weather even when picked small.)

An absolute invasion of pollen beetles here, especially on the courgette flowers - hope they leave some of the pollen for its intended purpose!

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 11:13 »
Thanks for that, Jay.   I think the problem occurred when my hubby had a problem with his koi pond, and the water to the greenhouse was turned off for a couple of days.  I did water, but the automatic timer is better because it gives a more even watering and I admit that although I watered each day, it wasn't necessarily at the time it probably needed it most.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 12:34 »
My sweet corn in the greenhouse aren't as tall this year but not sure if that's down to insufficient water.

Nana1

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 13:21 »
All my cauliflowers went to seed 8)everything else not to bad at the moment ;)

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 19:47 »
I am traipsing round the neighbourhood with bags of courgettes. Neighbours hide behind the settee when they see me approach. Doors are locked and children hushed.

My courgette plants have gone mad.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 04:39 »
Beetroot is woody,  few strawbs, spinach bolted straight away.No carrots or parsnips, have tried again with those so might get something eventually.
However it looks like a good year for squashes, courgettes etc.
Outdoor toms and peppers are looking good so far,  despite being left to their own devices for 2 weeks!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 21:44 »
Swiss chard bolted before I got to eat any. Strawberries very unproductive .
French beans, toms, cucumbers, courgettes sweet corn and black currant doing well so far. Garlic also very successful ( autumn planted Provence Wight).

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 09:02 »
I inherited a rhubarb plant in my new plot in May and its having a mega year, about to harvest the 3rd bunch of arms, about 15 thick stems. My dads has done well too this year.

Christine

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 18:40 »
 the allotment holder isn't doing too well with the heat.

xx
Would this be good or have negetive effect?

Started by Craigx on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 09:10
by Totty
xx
Effect of different soil types

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2017, 09:30
by jambop
xx
Glysophate - area of effect?

Started by Tohmahtae on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 00:08
by johnfh
xx
Weather changes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 10:06
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 51 queries.