Panic Buying

• 27 Replies

celeriac

Re: Panic Buying
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 07:18 »
FWIW here are my two recommendations:

There will always be shortages of one thing or another at times and part of me wants to just buy normally so as not to fuel the panic but the other part doesn't want to be the sucker that ends up with nothing, so a couple of years ago a got a big plastic box, put it in the garage and slowly filled it with tins and dried food that I knew I could make meals from and some evaporated milk. I've got some meals in tins such as soups, others I can make such as chickpeas, rice, spinach and tinned tomatoes I know I can add a few spices and make a curry. I have to confess though, I didn't prepare for the bogroll shortage!

As for seeds, last year when the shops went empty I got a trial 6 month subscription to one of the garden magazines that comes with seeds, I now have enough seeds to last me the decade! Bit short on the high value seeds mind, such as beans and peans so this year I'm stopping picking one of my bean plants early so that I can store a few seeds.

Stay safe x

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 12:39 »
There are no shortages at all, but if everyone decides to suddenly buy twice or three times their usual amount, the supply chain gets derailed.  It is simple as that.

In the spring the panic buying went on for weeks and was totally pointless.  As John says, huge amounts ended up in the bin and shop workers everywhere were shouted at and treated badly by rude, stupid and selfish people who need to take a good look at themselves and decide whether they want to be that person again.  Lots of other more vulnerable people and busy people like NHS staff did go short and were upset and worried.  Sorry to sound off, but that's the truth.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 20:13 »
Mercifully, the idiots have already stopped excessive purchasing here it seems.

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 21:25 »
Asda today, toilet roll aisle totally empty  :wacko:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 23:24 »
Asda today, toilet roll aisle totally empty  :wacko:

I was told on Sunday that Asda actually have a supplier issue at the moment rather than being swamped by the loo roll vultures. Our local store has an alternative brand in as of today as a stop gap.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 23:31 »
What is annoying is the idiots buying up gluten free - my grandson is gluten intolerant and cannot take ordinary pasta etc. His mum keeps a fair level of stock in now after the first panic buying in March but it was tricky feeding him then.
On loo rolls, my daughter picked up 4 off 18 roll packs at Farmfoods. More than she wanted but at £10 for 4 - a no brainer.. I told her, stick them on Ebay at a fiver a roll  :ohmy: :D :ohmy:
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GraciesGran

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 07:00 »
Oops, text from step grandson, he saw potting compost at a bargain price and bought me 10 bags.  It's a thank you for some work I did in the garden of his new house.   

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2020, 10:46 »
What is annoying is the idiots buying up gluten free - my grandson is gluten intolerant and cannot take ordinary pasta etc. His mum keeps a fair level of stock in now after the first panic buying in March but it was tricky feeding him then.

I was annoyed by the same thing.  I'm intolerant of wheat, although I can eat it at a pinch if I don't mind suffering pain in anything that can become inflamed (joints, sinuses, stomach - you name it!)  Anyway, I can eat oats and rye. 

My daughter, OTOH, suffers quite seriously from gluten intolerance and doesn't have unlimited storage space.  It was really difficult for her to feed herself.  Fortunately, she was with her father when lock down started and I was well-stocked, so able to drop off Red Cross packages at the door.

I think people in our situations aren't panic buying - it's stocking up on essentials.  I get really annoyed by those who think "my usual flour/cakes/biscuits are out of stock.  I know, I'll get GF".  WHY?!   :mad:  Let's face it, most of us who get ill would dearly love to buy the cheaper, nicer-tasting stuff if they could!   :wacko:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2020, 11:28 »
I'm sure some people think 'gluten free' is a healthier option or organic rather than a necessity for some people. Happily for me we're not intolerant but the effects on my grandson are quite bad.

Changing subject..

Due to panic buying I am now limiting purchases of my books to 3 copies of each title only per order. :)
(Oh well, you have to try!)

wighty

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2020, 21:08 »
Fortunately I am only Lactose intolerant and milk has obviously not been a problem.  I feel really sorry for those that are intolerant of substances that were in demand.  I have been having some problems with medication as a  lot contain lactose as a 'bulking' agent.  I had an argument at the Pharmacy when I refused a pack of  tablets and they said I had taken them away from the Pharmacy and so they couldn't take them back.  I pointed out that they had only served me on the street and I hadn't moved and had checked there and then.  They backed down and changed them. 

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 16:54 »
Due to panic buying I am now limiting purchases of my books to 3 copies of each title only per order. :)
(Oh well, you have to try!)

:lol: :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 17:58 »
A spate of panic buying in Waitrose has meant that there are only ten packs of Roquefort and nine of Manchego cheese on the shelves.

This has to stop, and store detectives have been told to arrest anyone paying for the £150.00 Chateau De Chastellain-Kobblers, 1998, with a Diamond encrusted Platinum 'Super-Extra-rich' credit card!

The Car-park attendant has also been ordered to clamp any car worth over £145,000.

...meanwhile, back at 'The Turrets', a timid Growster checks the sell-by date on the soup he bought with old money...

GraciesGran

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2020, 07:02 »
Growster my hero.  Thank you for making me smile!

xx
Buying in Plants

Started by John on New Across The Site

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2023, 21:49
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 52 queries.