compost bins

• 4 Replies

jamiendebbie

compost bins
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:10 »
what is the best size or method of building your own compost bin or box got plent of wood and other bits and bobs to make them from and any other basic advice would be good just started digging it over a small piece anyway lol

Trillium

Re: compost bins
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 17:55 »
There are so many styles of bins out there, and everyone believes theirs is the best type. So it all boils down to personal taste and what space and materials you have.

Basically, you just need something to contain the waste, then access to turn it over a few times a year to keep the composting action going. Often a second bin is good for turning the pile into, then starting a fresh pile in the first bin.  I have closed wood-frame containers that I can stack as high or low as needed, and I have 3 set up so far with plans for 2 more. I also have lids for mine as I have a lot of squirrels, cats, chipmunks and raccoons which would consider my bins an ongoing buffet if I didn't lid them. I did place a full sized square of weldmesh at the base before stacking to keep out mice and other vermin.

Here's a good list of styles that I'm sure you could figure how to make from looking at them:
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=428

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:56 »

Contact your local council, they may be giving them away FREE !  I've got three (two have just been handed over to new allotmenteers).   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Slowgrind

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 13:28 »
I bought one a few weeks ago. It's about as big as three dustbins in size. All the weeds and stuff that I've thrown in up to now has shrunk down to about a washing up bowl in size! I can see this being a long haul to fill.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 21:54 »
Our allotment insists on bins having wire covering the bottoms to stop rats moving in.

xx
compost bins

Started by shaun on Design and Construction

41 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 13:24
by shaun
xx
COMPOST BINS

Started by TREGRAHOW on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 01:49
by WirralWally
xx
compost bins

Started by kevinp on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 07:52
by kevinp
xx
Pallet compost bins

Started by ThatsNice on Design and Construction

27 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 08:45
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 39 queries.