sweetcorn (again)

• 15 Replies

PupStar

sweetcorn (again)
« on: May 31, 2012, 21:08 »
I have just been reading and planning my sweetcorn bed and was curious as to what others grow inbetween their corn.

What is suitable for the space. I still have peppers and chillis to go out or could I put say beetroot between them or none of the above?

Thanks

Mark

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: sweetcorn (again)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 21:10 »
The only companion type planting I have heard about with sweetcorn is the "three sisters" approach.  I have only managed two of the the three by planting courgettes under sweetcorn plants last year.  All did well.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 21:12 »
For the last 3 years I've done the 3 sister bed which is sweet corn, courgettes and dwarf beans. It was successful but harvesting the beans was a bit of a mission so I decided to do just courgettes under the corn this time. Or perhaps just the beans would work too?
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 21:19 »
Sweetcorn is very greedy and IMO it's not a good idea to plant things in between them.
Planting pumpkin/squash on the outside of the bed and letting them ramble through the corn works, though. It uses the space without robbing nutrients.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 21:20 »
I undersow my corn with crimson clover, I've never put any veg between the rows.
Faff free zone!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 21:21 »
Sweetcorn is very greedy and IMO it's not a good idea to plant things in between them.
Planting pumpkin/squash on the outside of the bed and letting them ramble through the corn works, though. It uses the space without robbing nutrients.

That's what I do  :D

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 21:27 »

That's what I do  :D

Me too

PupStar

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 21:27 »
thanks guys, on another site I read they suggest things such as lettuce, radishes and most small vegetables.

Gandan57

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 23:09 »
Lettuce and beetroot.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

PupStar

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 19:05 »
Lettuce and beetroot.

cheers, I might just give them a go.

Any other suggestions?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 19:18 »
After struggling last year with a semi-duff packet of sweet corn seeds I reduced the area for planting them this year, and needless to say, got nearly 100% germination from a packet which contained more than the "average" 35 seeds.   ::)

That means I'm going to have to really push my luck by planting about 10" apart (I just can't throw sweet corn plants away!) - it would be detrimental to both the sweet corn and anything else to try to interplant at those spacings, but even at the recommended spacings I think "2 sisters" is more than enough given our recent summers, especially at my sort of latitudes.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 20:05 »
After struggling last year with a semi-duff packet of sweet corn seeds I reduced the area for planting them this year, and needless to say, got nearly 100% germination from a packet which contained more than the "average" 35 seeds.   ::)

That means I'm going to have to really push my luck by planting about 10" apart (I just can't throw sweet corn plants away!) - it would be detrimental to both the sweet corn and anything else to try to interplant at those spacings, but even at the recommended spacings I think "2 sisters" is more than enough given our recent summers, especially at my sort of latitudes.

JayG I've had a decent crop with 12" spacing (but prefer 18" as I like to undersow with a green manure) so I'd guess you'll be ok, but expect the odd plant to fail or just produce one cob but it will be just the odd one.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 21:31 »
I am trying borlotti beans among the corn this year.
Theory is that if I can't get at the beans as fresh beans I can let them dry and use
in the winter in soups etc (rehydrated)

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Swing Swang

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 21:47 »

Wholeheartedly agree with this

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 07:22 »

I am going with this again this year.
Thanks
Kris

xx
sweetcorn

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 17:47
by flowerlady
xx
Which sweetcorn.

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2017, 21:12
by Urbanite
xx
sweetcorn

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 21:24
by Yorkie
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Phoenix on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 12:30
by Phoenix

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 37 queries.